Re: I am the Administrator

teresita <teresita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to change the way that I log on to windows.
Presently, when I turn on my computer, I get a dialog box where I
have to type in my Administrator password.

I think you mean, your user account password....

I don't want to have to do
this every time I log into windows. So I went to User Accounts to
make the change, but Windows doesn't recognize me as the
Administrator.

What exactly are you trying? If you don't want to enter a password when you
start up, but always want it to go straight in as your own login account, I
think all you need to do is go back to User Accounts and change the way
users log in (to use the Welcome Screen & Fast User Switching), and then get
rid of your password.

My user account is under my name, not Administrator,
however, I am definately the administrator.

You may be *an* administrator, but you aren't *the* Administrator (built-in
account) if I understand your post correctly -

So I try to change the
name of my user account to Administrtator, but I get a message
telling me that there is another account with that name.

And there is....

But there is
not! if there is, I don't see it anywhere!!

If you're using WinXP Home, you can't see/log in as the built-in
Administrator account unless you've booted into Safe Mode. [If you're using
XP Pro, you can log in as the Administrator if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice
at the welcome screen.] But I don't think you need to do that at all - just
remove your password as per the above.

If you aren't currently

All I want is to go straight to windows when I turn on my computer,
and to fix this Administrator confusion. I have scanned my system
for viruses and trojen horses and adware and it is clean.
Any help will be appreciated.

I don't use XP Home, so I may be off base, so corrections are welcome.

thanks

  • Re: Administrator Name and Password
    ... Although you did not set up a user account, you are in fact using one every ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ... you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. ... Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: forgot password
    ... You can also log into with the default or Bult-in Administrator account ... and the password is the one you have set during initial setup of Windows XP ... If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, ... Click the user account that you forgot the password for, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: password problems
    ... In the user account type administrator, ... Once Windows starts loading, ... >> forgotten password disk). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: URGENT!! unable to log on after ctrl, alt, det
    ... In the user account type administrator, ... Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it and will have ... You'll have an option to log on as Administrator. ... specific user and select change password. ...
  • Re: lost aministrative id and password for windows xp
    ... Then after doing so it ask for my administrative id and password to log on to windows xp. ... the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to reboot into Safe Mode. ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)