Re: Windows XP Profile Mover?

It's hard telling why you think your settings on workstations would be
altered by getting a new server unless a new domain is being created with
all new users.

(I would have made the new server a backup domain controller first, then
made it primary with all the related authority switches, then removed the
old server. This would have had zero influence on workstations other than
UNC links to shared files.)

But, we just outsourced our servers and decided to create a new domain, so
we had exactly the same need to make old profiles work in the new domain.

All IT management tools that do this have weaknesses and I've found a quick
an dirty way to bypass that. I believe that there may be weaknesses to my
method but no one has found any yet.

Steps to take on each workstation:

1. Copy the old profile to the "Default User" profile.
a. log in as an administrator from boot, not after logging off as the
migrating user.
b. Right click My Computer and select Properties, then on the Advanced
tab click on Settings under the User Profiles group.
c. Select the user and click Copy
d. Browse to "C:\documents and settings\default user" or type it in to
the destination folder.
e. Allow it to delete the contents first.
2. Create the new user (if local usernames are used) or Join the computer to
the new Domain (if domain usernames are used).
3. Log in as the user in the new domain.

All the settings and files will be exactly the way they were but in a new
profile.

4. IT type cleanup is required afterwards to delete the duplicated files as
desired and backup things.

Note; Using this process can create a generic default user profile for a
specific computer. Create a dummy admin user, then tweak the profile in
every way deisred, then copy that profile to default user. (Frist make sure
no Outlook profiles exist, etc.)

PC

"cyberdude" <cyberdude@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I was told that XP had a Profile Mover that would allow me to move all the
settings from one profile to another. I can't find this app, or any
reference to it.

I guess I should say that the need for this is because we are upgrading
from
a WINNT 4.0 server to a 2003 server and the local user's setting will be
lost
unless I can figure out how to move profile in toto. My network guy at
work
said that this tool was the way to do it, but he is currently off and my
boss
wants it done by the end of the week, preferably yesterday. ;)

  • RE: SBS Slow user logons problem
    ... that would be a big issue because the profile can and will become ... So far I have created new user accounts for them and re-associated their ... I have also disjoined their workstations from the domain and re-joined them ... I have deleted the Reverse DNS zone on the SBS server and recreated it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Install.INS - Proxy Enabled
    ... Yes, for those workstations have joined domain, if you want to change their ... IE settings you need manually reapply the install.ins file again on every ... I located the install.ins file on the server and workstations and was under ... >The Install.ins file contains the configuration settings for Internet ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Questions About Windows Firewall and Domain Policy Enforcement (Updated Info)
    ... I have a Windows 2000 domain that has 200 workstations most of which are ... If we enable the firewall on the workstations then the domain ... SP2 settings on firewall activation). ... long as there is no Standard Profile configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: Questions About Windows Firewall and Domain Policy Enforcement (Updated Info)
    ... I have a Windows 2000 domain that has 200 workstations most of which are ... If we enable the firewall on the workstations then the domain ... SP2 settings on firewall activation). ... long as there is no Standard Profile configured. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy)
  • Re: User-Specific Settings
    ... 'remember each folder's view settings' is checked. ... Outlook and all of our applications run on our server and are accessed thru ... >> Profile tab for all of our users. ... >>> log on to another workstation. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps)