Local Security Settings: why the long string *S-1-5-23498...?

Local Security Settings: why the long string *S-1-5-23498...? where
Admin, Power User, User are.

Sometimes this long string is found together where the traditionally
defined users (Admin, Power User, etc) are.

Since I program in Visual Studio and recently added SQL Server 2005, I
surmise perhaps this was added by those programs for their own
purposes, perhaps debugging?

THen again it could be a hacker?!

Anybody else having these strings in your Local Security Settings?

I have a standalone PC connected to the internet through a firewalled
DSL modem.

RL

  • Re: create com object and register trouble
    ... I was just power user and was able to do my job on XP. ... admin ID to allow me access to certain registry key. ... I can't believe this need of admin powered developer is the intend of Vista ... What is the proper way of setting up the environment for me as power user ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Use of credentials with UAC in vista
    ... user's account, from a command prompt with 'run as administrator' privledges, and it failed saying access denied. ... The user's account has power user permissions. ... There is no more Power User on Vista, ... It also appears from reading the above article that it did indeed cache my admin credentials. ...
  • Re: Adding a new user & computer
    ... the users will be add to the local admin group only. ... time they will be able to install windows update and install SBS ... >> If you create a user with the power user template, ... >> Microsoft SBS Product Support ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • NT 4.0 Domain/XP Clients
    ... OUR xp clients can't install network printers AND after ... I usually log in as a Domain Admin and muck around, ... that would allow printing by the power user. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: Does Power Users really work?
    ... Power User is not going to give them the ability to run ... applications that require an Admin context. ... I set up Win2k pc's on our network ... > users that need to be set at Administrator Level just so ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)