Re: Outlook Preview Pane and Virus Attachment Infection

Andy <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello, I am in the IT field and I am confused whether previewing an
email can infect you with a virus. I cannot seem to get a clear
answer after talking to 5 different people. Most say you should not
preview messages because it can launch viruses, but my understanding
of attachments does not jive with that concept. I believe previewing
is the same as opening the email. I understand that in order to view
the attachment, you can choose to download and view it, otherwise the
Preview pane will not show the content of the attachment. If the
attachment is a .exe type virus for example, the exe will not run
unless I choose to open it, so how can a preview window launch the
exe? Or perhaps current vectors are more creative and can infect me
in other ways more creative than the just cited simple exe example?
If you view the file, you do not execute the attachment...that has
been my experience. However, if the message itself has embedded code,
then it is a different matter. Am I correct? Please help.

Andy

See replies to your other post. I see that you're using the web interface to
the groups, which is pretty clumsy at best. Try using a newsreader client,
such as Forte
Agent, Thunderbird, or even Outlook Express, instead. It's a lot easier to
do nearly everything that way and you won't as often run into problems with
duplicate posting, etc. You can mark messages to be watched, filter the
views so you can see replies to your posts easily, and search.

The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
subscribe to as many groups as you like; no authentication is required.

(cribbed shamelessly from a post by Malke Routh)

Here's information on Usenet and using a newsreader:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlo...ssnewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...wto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Some newsreaders for Windows
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php - for Forte
http://www.mozilla.org (Thunderbird does newsgroups)
http://gravity.tbates.org/

  • Re: Editors
    ... > Of course a sort of worm could host in the exe and crawl. ... I'm saying that a *virus* could infect an executable (worms ... mostly use other means than infecting executables, ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Email Preview Pane and Viral Infection Basics
    ... email can infect you with a virus. ... preview messages because it can launch viruses, ... attachment is a .exe type virus for example, ... Or perhaps current vectors are more creative and can infect me ...
  • Re: Outlook Preview Pane and Virus Attachment Infection
    ... email can infect you with a virus. ... attachment is a .exe type virus for example, the exe will not run unless ... The biggest factor in these types of infections is wether you view the message in plain text or not. ...
  • Re: Outlook Preview Pane and Virus Attachment Infection
    ... attachment is a .exe type virus for example, ... Agent, Thunderbird, or even Outlook Express, instead. ... Here's information on Usenet and using a newsreader: ... http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups ...
  • Re: Effectiveness of ntp under Redhat Linux FC3
    ... I didn't say it was a virus. ... affect it assuming the backup is running at a higher priority. ... It's not my newsreader adding it, you seem to use "begin risky.vbs"as ... Can I ask you not to use that as your reply header? ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)