RE: Access Denied - Msconfig Startup Changes

Hi Jami,
If you have the CD with the software on It you uninstall and reinstall any
time.
Bear in mind if you have a corrupted Application there is no way to keep it
on your system, uninstall will be necessary.
Update the MediaDirect from Dell website by opening the Application or the
Update manager by Dell on your Computer and look for all updates and install
them, while you are covered make sure you have all the software CD or ask
DELL to send you one.
About keeping the Microsoft Accounting software and Business contacts, you
are the only one can decide what will be best, will you use them in the
nearest future or not?, and again if they on the Software CD you can install
them any time and use them.
HTH.
nass
===
www.nasstec.co.uk

"Jami" wrote:

Nass,

One of Dell's solutions to the PCMService.exe error message was to uncheck
it in "Startup" which I did. So far, no error message, but again the message
comes only intermittently, so "we'll see". I'll try "anything" before
formatting hard drive. Also, I've checked regarding drivers & there does not
seem to be any updates for MediaDirect intalled on my computer.

As far as the MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ...it seems there is some type of
Microsoft Accounting software and Business contacts thru Outlook installed on
the notebook as it was purchased thru Small Biz. It must have come that way
because I did not install. Anyway, I'm not sure if I need to keep it or
not....I'm a bit hesitant to remove. I've never used it, so I'm sure it must
be trying to load somehow & showing up on occasion in the Event Viewer. Do
you know if there any way just to disable it without removing? If you find
any answer, let me know.

thanks for ALL your help.

Jami

"nass" wrote:

Hi Jami,

You need to get the drivers for you Dell Media Direct or you can uninstall
and then reinstall it, but read these articles first:

1= About the Error message in the Event Viewer:
MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ;

How to completely remove Small Business Accounting and Microsoft SQL Server
Desktop Engine
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897877

Error message when you try to enter a manual payroll in Accounting
Professional 2007 or in Small Business Accounting 2006: "Connection failed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916272

Error message when you try to open a company or you try to create a company
in Small Business Accounting 2006, in Accounting Professional 2007, and in
Accounting Express 2007: "General network error has occurred, DB cannot be
created"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915514

How to move a company database file from one computer to another computer in
Accounting Professional 2007, in Accounting Express 2007, or in Small
Business Accounting 2006
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919451

How to troubleshoot Business Contact Manager Setup issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901163/

2= About the error pop-up:
PCMService.exe-application error;
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=120540
Please click on the two links provided in the Answer (majorjeeks) for DELL
website help and support to get more info and download drivers.
The Dell Media Experience program starts unexpectedly when you use the mouse
tilt wheel to scroll to the right
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894519

The screen saver does not start after you install a wireless pointing device
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913405
HTH.
Let us know.
nass
===
www.nasstec.co.uk

"Jami" wrote:

Nass,

I do not have WavePlayer, as far as I know.

I checked in Event Viewer and here are some logs:

Application Warnings:
MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ
Userenv

System Errors:
DCOM
Service Control Manager

If you can explain any of this, I'd appreciate it.

The orignal problem I had faced was a "popup window" on occassion stating.

PCMService.exe-application error
Instruction at 0x00402545 referenced memory at 0x00000008. The memory could
not read. OK to terminate. Cancel to Debug.

I would only get this message "on occasion"...nothing I could re-create.
So, when Dell went into Msconfig to change "startup" settings, that's when
the issue of Administrative rights came up. After being online 3 hrs. the
tech decided I needed to reinstall Windows XP. If I did that I would have to
reinstall some of my major programs, & I cannot reinstall due to number of
installations allowed on software. I've just tried to seek out some type of
"setting" problem that might be the culprit. Changing that Reg. setting on
the HP Printer as suggested by Apeke allowed me to make those Startup changes
with no administrative message.

Anyhelp you can give me on the Event Viewer logs and the PCM Service error
message will be appreciated.

Oh you mentioned if under warranty, Dell would FIX IT FOR ME....he told me
he could only send XP disk...I would have to do the work. I don't understand
that as I purchased a 3 yr "on-site" warranty. I felt like he was seeking
answers in manuals everytime I asked a question, and did not have the real
knowledge needed for the issue. Otherwise, what took 3 hours to determine???
The steps were no more than I've mentioned in "Startup"....nothing more.

Thanks for any additional help you can give.
Jami

"nass" wrote:

Hi Jami,
If still in warranty then they can fix it for you?.
Do you have this installed WavePlayer
Pulse Code Modulation (PCM)

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/journal/v1/ns3/mgclus.htm

Also look in the event viewer for any error messages and double click it to
get more info and you can copy and paste it in your next message.
I will make sure the machine is malware free and Virus free by scanning the
machine in both Normal and Safe mode.
HTH.
Let us know.
Regards,
nass
"Jami" wrote:

I made a change to Startup because I orginally contacted Dell because I got
an error message about PCM Service.exe. We decided to disable this in
startup & that's when I got the Access Denied message. But, it made the
change nonetheless.

My only problem with taking to tech shop is there is a 3 yr warranty on
system & that could void the warranty thru Dell.

I just feel there's some little setting that could help instead of
reinstalling Windows XP & having to reinstall all programs, plus backup data.

"nass" wrote:

"Jami" wrote:

I keep getting a message when I try to make changes to "Startup" in Msconfig
that Access Denied & I may need to logon as Administrator. I AM the
ADministrator & only user of personal notebook computer. However, the
changes seem to take effect nonetheless.

Is there anyway to correct this problem of getting this message?

Please help!!!!! I just don't undertand it!!!

Dell suggested reformatting entire hard drive, but I don't understand that.
The changes take effect...there's just some glitch that I get this message.

So why you are trying to adjust or change the setting on the StartUp?.
You could be having a corrupt profile and you need to create a new Profile
with admin privileges and you done.
Also I will make sure this machine is clean from malwares/viruses.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

Here is a link on how to perform a clean install of XP:
If all the above is too much for you then take the Machine to your local
Tech and they will advise you on what appropriate according to the real
ground.
HTH.
nass
===
www.nasstec.co.uk

  • RE: Access Denied - Msconfig Startup Changes
    ... How to completely remove Small Business Accounting and Microsoft SQL Server ... Please click on the two links provided in the Answer for DELL ... tech decided I needed to reinstall Windows XP. ... Oh you mentioned if under warranty, Dell would FIX IT FOR ME....he told me ...
  • RE: Access Denied - Msconfig Startup Changes
    ... You cannot install WSUS, and you may find a message that references ... One of Dell's solutions to the PCMService.exe error message was to uncheck ... You need to get the drivers for you Dell Media Direct or you can uninstall ... How to completely remove Small Business Accounting and Microsoft SQL Server ...
  • Re: Outsourcing - A Horror Story With a Happy Ending
    ... >common and so obvious that perhaps the telephone tech ... >> times and getting the same message, I called Dell ... >> drive, reinstall Windows, and try to rebuild the ... >> started out by explaining the NTLDR error message. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Outsourcing - A Horror Story With a Happy Ending
    ... This morning, I turned on my Dell computer, and received an error message: ... drive, reinstall Windows, and try to rebuild the system. ... recommendation he gave - the local tech told me "those guys don't know very ...