RE: Access Denied - Msconfig Startup Changes

Hi Jami...
Mine dod the same thing...I searched all over the net and finally found my
problem and a solution. Mine started AFTER I installed a new Hp All In One
Printer-fax-copier machine.
So, if you installed a new program lately, that may be what's causing your
issue.
I was led into the Registry and had to change a value number and now I do
not have that error message pop up. IF this is the case for you too..reply
letting me know and I will post (here) the solution. I would now, but don't
want you to go into registry and do something that is irrevelent to your
issue and mess up your system.
Blessings,
Apeke

"Jami" wrote:

I made a change to Startup because I orginally contacted Dell because I got
an error message about PCM Service.exe. We decided to disable this in
startup & that's when I got the Access Denied message. But, it made the
change nonetheless.

My only problem with taking to tech shop is there is a 3 yr warranty on
system & that could void the warranty thru Dell.

I just feel there's some little setting that could help instead of
reinstalling Windows XP & having to reinstall all programs, plus backup data.

"nass" wrote:

"Jami" wrote:

I keep getting a message when I try to make changes to "Startup" in Msconfig
that Access Denied & I may need to logon as Administrator. I AM the
ADministrator & only user of personal notebook computer. However, the
changes seem to take effect nonetheless.

Is there anyway to correct this problem of getting this message?

Please help!!!!! I just don't undertand it!!!

Dell suggested reformatting entire hard drive, but I don't understand that.
The changes take effect...there's just some glitch that I get this message.

So why you are trying to adjust or change the setting on the StartUp?.
You could be having a corrupt profile and you need to create a new Profile
with admin privileges and you done.
Also I will make sure this machine is clean from malwares/viruses.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP

Here is a link on how to perform a clean install of XP:
If all the above is too much for you then take the Machine to your local
Tech and they will advise you on what appropriate according to the real
ground.
HTH.
nass
===
www.nasstec.co.uk

  • Re: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 will not install
    ... You can try to install the Windows 2003 ... Expand to Windows Logs -> Application and right-click to select Save ... of the public folder database files. ... domain to the new SBS 2003 installation, way is to create a local profile, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Missing applications after XP clean install/reinstall - Help!!
    ... Here's my problem in a nutshell: I've reinstalled Windows XP SP2 clean. ... I've managed to get my main user profile back so I have all of my documents, ... I have the install disks for a lot of my major applications - Microsoft ... 40GB partition. ...
  • Re: Missing applications after XP clean install/reinstall - Help!!
    ... Here's my problem in a nutshell: I've reinstalled Windows XP SP2 clean. ... I've managed to get my main user profile back so I have all of my documents, ... I have the install disks for a lot of my major applications - Microsoft ... 40GB partition. ...
  • Re: "Classic logon" screen in XP does not remeber the user name
    ... would be to install RC. ... I recently upgraded a workstation from Windows 2000 Pro to Windows XP Pro. ... can copy missing shortcuts to the new profile. ... just temporarily] another user account that is also an administrator ...
  • Reinstalling windows...
    ... Clean install, I didn't mess with any default settings, etc. ... reinstalling Windows, then backing up and re-doing the other partitions one at a ... drive stopped recognizing DVDs. ... I shoulda been working on backing up those other partitions so I can ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)