Re: Encrytion

In news:14C5E489-40C6-40C1-BF13-343ED62BC66B@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
devondumpling <devondumpling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How do I encrypt a folder? Already have the NTFS file system,
get to
'Under Compress or Encrypt attributes' I find the 'Encrypt
contents
to secure data' is greyed out

File encryption is not available if you have Windows XP Home
Edition installed on your computer.

If you want to prevent other users on your computer from
viewing this folder, put it in your My Documents folder, right
click on it, select the Sharing tab and check off "Make this
folder private". Put a password on your user account and never
leave your account logged on while the computer is unattended.

If you must have access to file encryption, you would have to
upgrade to XP Professional. Keep in mind that encrypting files
is not without its risks. Take a look at this article for more
info.

Best practices for the Encrypting File System

Here's another option.

TrueCrypt 4.3
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Personally, I don't recommend file encryption be used by anyone
other than those in a corporate environment. From my
experience, home users who encrypt their files have taken the
first step to losing them permanently.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

  • Re: Encriptar documento
    ... File encryption is a feature available in Windows XP Professional. ... If you wish to encrypt your documents, ... Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: File encryption
    ... of using file encryption on Debian Etch? ... but which one might suit the following: ... I only want to encrypt a single folder with personal stuff in it. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: XP2SP2 File Encryption with Workgroups (no AD)
    ... Bill Cohagan wrote: ... > I would like to be able to encrypt a file/folder on one machine and access ... > that the normal workgroup logon mechanism ... > Is there any way to use file encryption in a workgroup environment? ...
  • XP2SP2 File Encryption with Workgroups (no AD)
    ... I would like to be able to encrypt a file/folder on one machine and access ... that the normal workgroup logon (using same password and Userid) mechanism ... Is there any way to use file encryption in a workgroup environment? ...
  • Re: Enable "Encrypt contents to secure data" option in Windows Exp
    ... option available during install). ... to green for the folder and file names, ... Select the folder you wish to encrypt. ... In order for this option to work in Microsoft Windows XP home you must ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)