Re: AVG Software

W G thanks very much, I'll give it a try. In the past in order to get MA
components to work properly I had to uninstall which seemed to be a little
easier than Norton.
Brett

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You should be able to disable whatever E-mail scanning component(s) that
McAfee has. I do not know how you do that. When I installed AVG Free 7,
did not even install their E-mail Scanner. The Resident Shield or
whatever
name that whatever brand calls it, keeps you protected. Most AV apps have
component that scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive,
including email and email attachments.

Having an E-mail scanner can actually cause .dbx file corruption in
Outlook
Express.

<quote>
As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of
DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are
configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known
anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time.
<quote>
The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
Published: November 18, 2004
By Tom Koch
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

how easy is it
to uninstall McAfee without hassle please?

I honestly do not remember, it was so long ago. But McAfee does leave all
kinds of stuff behind in the registry. McAfee's reasoning for that may be
that it makes a reinstall easier. Yea, right.

I found this...
Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x
http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displaydoc.asp?docid=68717&CategoryId=61137

Looks like they have a VirusScan.reg file to remove the VirusScan registry
entries that you can download.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23wArc$$UHHA.1208@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
brett <dbrett1(removethis)@toucansurf.com> hunted and pecked:
I'm having second thoughts about McAfee now they have upgraded their
security centre and the components which seem to have caused interference
with my OE (using Win XP +SP2).

In the past I found Norton extremely difficult to remove, how easy is it
to uninstall McAfee without hassle please?
Brett

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
would download the new app, whatever it is, download whatever you need
remove Norton/Symantec, unplug the modem, uninstall Norton/Symantec then
install the new app and get updated pronto. Rebooting when needed. For
AVAST or AVG you do not need something extra to remove them. ;-)
Removal tools, that always makes me think that Norton/Symantec is worse
than any virus to get rid of.

Here are some tips on Norton-Symantec removal and some links to removal
tools.

Symantec NAV, NIS, NSW Removal
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem.htm

Symantec NIS, NSW, NAV 2007 Removal Tool
http://basconotw.mvps.org/SymRem2.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CE17DEE3-749E-401D-A094-F2566302E217@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Cheryl <Cheryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Thanks for both ideas. I would guess that Norton should be completly
removed before installing another program.
--
CEW

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

I use AVG Free and like it. Norton/Symantec sicks.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User