Re: How to bypass administrator permissions on my own system

On Feb 12, 10:59 am, "Nepatsfan" <nepats...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Innews:1171295668.279351.207870@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

tom.locas...@xxxxxxxxxxx <tom.locas...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a cloned copy of an older XP system on a removable
drive that
had several user groups. I recently reinstalled XP SP2 on my
main
computer and now the removable drive no longer allows me
access to the
administrator accounts my documents folders. How can I bypass
the file
folder permissions so that I may retrieve my old data?

You need to disable Simple File Sharing and take ownership of
the files. Take a look at these articles for more info:

How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a
shared folder in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874/

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XPhttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folderhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881

Note: If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you
must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an
account that has Administrative rights to have access to the
Security tab. To start in Safe Mode, reboot your computer and
start tapping the F8 key as soon as you see anything displayed
on the screen. Keep hitting F8 until the Advanced Startup
Options menu appears. Use the up and down arrow keys on your
keyboard to select Safe Mode. Hit Enter.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

My newer version of XP on my C drive has no user groups but the
removable drive does and no longer recognizes me as the administrator.
By booting in safe mode, doesn't that only affect the newly installed
OS and does nothing for the removable drive? How is that going to help
bypass the administrator file permissions on the removable drive?

  • RE: XP Access Denied Error (Im Administrator)
    ... Please check if you have enough permission on that folder. ... HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP WGID:458 ... Try safe mode: ... Windows XP the Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts ...
  • Re: WinXP-Home-Folder Access
    ... Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode. ... Log on with an account that's a computer administrator. ... Full Control of the folder. ... Restart your computer and boot into normal mode. ...
  • Re: WinXP-Home-Folder Access
    ... Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode. ... Log on with an account that's a computer administrator. ... Right click on the System Volume Information folder and select Properties ... Restart your computer and boot into normal mode. ...
  • Re: Access is Denied After Reinstall - Already reset permissions
    ... can access all the files when I am in safe mode, logged in as the administrator--but I cannot access them under my regular user, "owner". ... Changing the permissions for each individual file works, but I have over 900 files in there and cannot figure out how to unlock the whole folder, with all the files in it. ... are logged in as Administrator, ...
  • Re: File permissions screwed up
    ... there are both file permissions and share permissions to ... You may have to take ownership of the folder, ... user groups need Full Access, ... Administrator, I can't create a file on that directory. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)