Re: Loss of Administrator User

Keep having fun, Peter.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C313BC2A-5031-4552-BEDC-A1E65DCF4FD3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Peter D <PeterD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Thanks for that Wes - I don't think I shall explore that avenue since I am
"back to normal". I took advice from a BT Advisor and used my Windows
disc to effect a repair. I think I will leave well alone!! Cheers, Peter
--
Peter Dearson

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Peter,

Maybe this will help.

This .vbs file allows you to choose having the Administrator appear on
the Welcome Screen.

Read the instructions at the top.
5. Right hand side
Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen

adminwelcomescreen.vbs is the file.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:16351147-4740-4C7A-9EB2-1C1C6DB9DA96@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Peter D <PeterD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Hi Wes. I have two user accounts and have tried both without success.
When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is
not shown. Since writing to you I have tried altering the security
settings in the System Setup, and now I cannot even get into Safe Mode
using F8 anymore. I think I am digging a big hole into which I shall
shortly fall!! --
Peter Dearson

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

Peter,

Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions??

The Administrator account is not displayed in User Accounts unless the
computer is in Safe mode. To change the password for the Administrator
account:

1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer, and then click Restart.
2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press
F8, and then click Safe mode.
NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command,
press F8 repeatedly after you turn on the computer.
3. Log on as an Administrator, or with another account that has
Administrator permissions.
4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, and then click
User Accounts.
5. Click the Administrator icon.
6. Click Create a Password or Change my password.
7. Type a password for the account, and then retype the password to
confirm it.
8. Type a hint to help you remember the password in the event that you
forget it.
9. Click Create Password or Change Password.
from...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:610AD3F5-E719-475D-BDA3-940AC7752C5E@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Peter D <PeterD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
Thanks for the input Wes, but I have already tried that. When I get
into Safe Mode, I cannot access the Administrator account, it just
does not appear when I access User Account.
--
Peter Dearson

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

The Administrator account exists in Windows XP Home Edition, but it
does not typically appear on the Welcome logon screen. In Windows XP
Home Edition the Administrator account is not displayed in User
Accounts unless the computer is in Safe mode. You have to boot into
Safe Mode to access the Administrator account in User Accounts.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | User Accounts

1. Click Start, click Turn Off Computer and then click Restart.
2. After the computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), press
F8, and then click Safe mode

NOTE: If you have difficulty getting to the Safe mode menu command,
press F8 repeatedly after you turn on the computer.

NOTE: If F8 does not work, use the System Configuration Tool Method
to access Safe Mode.

3. Log on as an Administrator or with another account that has
Administrator permissions.
4. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel and then click
User Accounts.
5. Click the Administrator icon.

To start the computer in safe mode

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A6EA21AD-F5EE-416D-84D3-FA193F5569FF@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
Peter D <PeterD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
I am running Windows XP Home Edition and after taking a look through
the BT Broadband Desktop Help (and maybe a few side issues) I have
found that when switching on the PC I have had my screen replaced
with the DELL Logo screen, and I have very limited access as a guest
user. I have tried alsorts to come to terms with finding out how to
gain acces to the Administrator account (to try and restore to an
earlier date), all without any success. After reading some earlier
do nothing in there either. Can anyone offer some assistance please?
Taa. --
Peter Dearson

  • Re: Loss of Administrator User
    ... Enable/Disable Administrator on Welcome Screen ... When I try to access the Administrator account while in Safe Mode it is ... Are you logging on with an account that has Administrator permissions?? ... Safe Mode to access the Administrator account in User Accounts. ...
  • Re: Log on Windows XP Professional
    ... >Because of the security features built into Windows XP, ... administrator rights, you can ... >use that account to change the password of the account ... >First you need to boot the system into Safe Mode: ...
  • Re: xp control panel does not display in safe mode
    ... access the control panel in safe mode. ... Administrator account while in Normal Mode. ... Once you have the command prompt window open you can use the net user ...
  • Re: Boot-up peculiarity
    ... With Autologon ON, it bypasses the choice of accounts. ... The password for the built in Windows Administrator account is normally blank. ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Boot-up peculiarity