Re: how to set permission to folders

Confident means:
1. full of conviction : CERTAIN <confident of success> <confident that
conditions will improve>

2. having or showing assurance and self-reliance <a confident young
businessman> <a confident manner>

From XP HELP:

To make your folders private
1 Open My Computer.
2 Double-click the drive where Windows is installed (usually drive (C:),
unless you have more than one drive on your computer).
If the contents of the drive are hidden, under System Tasks, click Show the
contents of this drive.

3 Double-click the Documents and Settings folder.
4 Double-click your user folder.
5 Right-click any folder in your user profile, and then click Properties.
6 On the Sharing tab, select the Make this folder private so that only I
have access to it check box.

Notes
* To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
* This option is only available for folders included in your user profile.
Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders,
Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these
folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer.
* When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well.
For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and
My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its
subfolders unless you make them private.
* You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as
NTFS.

If Simple File Sharing is turned on, you get three tabs;
General, Sharing and Customize, you also get Make this folder private.

If Simple File Sharing is turned off, you get four tabs; General, Sharing,
Security and Customize, you also lose Make this folder private. Instead you
get
Do not share this folder or Share this folder under the Sharing tab.

[[By default, the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP
Professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup. Windows XP
Professional-based computers that are joined to a domain use only the
classic file sharing and security interface. (Simple File Sharing gets
tuned off automatically if on a domain, I think.)

If you turn off Simple File Sharing, you have more control over the
permissions to individual users. However, you must have advanced knowledge
of NTFS and share permissions to help keep your folders and files more
secure. If you turn off Simple File Sharing, the Shared Documents feature is
not turned off. ]]

Here are some notes about Make this folder private.

#1 is that if the folder is not in your user profile, Documents and
Settings\Your Name, Make this folder private will not be available.

Make this folder private
[[Specifies that only you can access the folder. When you make a folder
private, you also make all the files and subfolders it contains private.
This option is only available for your folders in your user profile (My
Documents and its subfolders, Desktop, Start Menu, and Favorites). If you
want to make a file in a private folder available to other users, you can
move the file to the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, or Shared Music
folders.]]

[[This option is only available for folders included in your user profile*.
Folders in your user profile include My Documents and its subfolders,
Desktop, Start Menu, Cookies, and Favorites. If you do not make these
folders private, they are available to everyone who uses your computer. ]]

*user profile
[[A file that contains configuration information for a specific user, such
as desktop settings, persistent network connections, and application
settings. Each user's preferences are saved to a user profile that Windows
uses to configure the desktop each time a user logs on.]]

[[When you make a folder private, all of its subfolders are private as well.
For example, when you make My Documents private, you also make My Music and
My Pictures private. When you share a folder, you also share all of its
subfolders unless you make them private. ]]

[[You cannot make your folders private if your drive is not formatted as
NTFS.]]

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307286

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files and
folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298399

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:96B05DB0-BBF8-4CC7-978C-AE34D1FA0805@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
[Tsuniper-X] <TsuniperX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
im using xp pro sp2 with NTFS drive. i want to make a folder "Confident",
preferably on c:\, and set up a permission so that users in Users group
can't read or delete anything in the folder "Confident", as well as the
folder itself. However, i want users in Administrators group to access
and delete anything in the folder "Confident". I tried taking tips from
microsoft, but it seems something is wrong.

You see, as soon as i made the folder "Confident", the permissions were
inherited. So i checked it off, making all permissions "not inherited".
Then, i noticed two permission settings for group Users, one for Special
and one for Read & Executable. Just to let you know, i use an account in
Administrators group. So i deleted one of them, and cleared all checks for
Users and checked List/Execute Data and Delete button. I checked that my
account and group Administrators has full access for the folder
"Confident". After that, i created an account in User group, and the
folder "Confident" is access denied for the account in User group AND
Adminstrator group. This is very inconvinient as it confuses me so much.
Can somebody help me set up the permission?
--
[W]hat"s
[C]hris"s

  • Re: Can I password-protect a folder?
    ... Double-click the drive where Windows is installed, ... Double-click the Documents and Settings folder. ... Right-click any folder in your user profile, ... select the Make this folder private so that only I ...
  • Re: Files and folders
    ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... You are right the "Simple File Sharing" is off so this is the reason I ... General, Sharing and Customize, I also get Make this folder private. ...
  • Re: Files and folders
    ... General, Sharing and Customize, I also get Make this folder private. ... If I turn Simple File Sharing off, I get four tabs; ... the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP ...
  • Re: Files and folders
    ... You are right the "Simple File Sharing" is off so this is the reason I ... General, Sharing and Customize, I also get Make this folder private. ... the Simple File Sharing UI is turned on in Windows XP ...
  • Make this folder private is grayed out!
    ... How can I enable file sharing for my user folder (and ... subfolders) if the "Make this folder private" option is ...