Re: Computer and file security

Sal wrote:
I am shortly going to work part-time for a company where I will be leaving my computer. There will be times when I am not around and I do not want people to get access to my personal data and Outlook contacts etc. What can I do to protect this information from unauthorised persons.
Thank you.
Regards. S

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired files/folders.

Best Practices for Encrypting File System
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

  • Re: Cannot access files on my old hard drive
    ... If you hadn't encrypted the data files (and marking a folder private is something completely different from encryption), you may be facing nothing more than a simple permissions issue. ... HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: Printing File Names
    ... Is there a way of printing a list of file names from a Folder? ... Any of the switches for the DIR command will work with this command, if you wish to modify the output. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: XP FOLDER PROTECTION
    ... Using the same username on both PCs really doesn't mean anything to the computers. ... If you hadn't encrypted the data files (and marking a folder private is something completely different from encryption), you may be facing nothing more than a simple permissions issue. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: System 32 folder
    ... System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows ... How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Password protecting folders
    ... HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)