Re: Unable to add domain user or groups

Thank you for the advice; however, there is a very real problem here. The
problem is much more severe than I thought. We are unable to add domain
users to local folder permissions, groups, etc. As soon as we check the
name, we get a message saying that windows cannot process the object...
access is denied. We can add local users to directory permissions but we
cannot add any domain user or group. There doesn't seem to be an audit log
of this denial.

There is not a domain group policy causing this problem and it is now
affecting all computers in the domain except for a few that have been
completed in the past few weeks. It is like the adminstrators lose their
rights after a short period of time. Administrators can log in normally,
they can get to all domain resources, they can even change local settings.
However, administrators cannot perform windows update except if logged in as
the local administrator and cannot add domain users to local resources etc.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

In news:AE98D623-187F-4BC2-A970-C9A77C94F808@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
RichardH <RichardH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:
I have tried adding users with both a domain admin account as well as
logged in locally as an administrator and then supplying the domain
information when asked (domain\username and password).

We have done this without any problems in the past and some machines
accept the additions without any problems.

After typing the group or username of the domain object I am wanting
to add and click "check name", I get a message stating that windows
cannot process the object... Access is denied. For example, if I
were to enter "tjones" and then click check name... it would respond
"Windows cannot proccess the object Jones, Thomas... Access is
denied."

I have to echo Jesper's comments - this is generally a Really Bad Idea. If
you have software written by lazy developers who don't understand secure
multiuser operating systems, you can usually force them to play nice by
figuring out which file system & registry places the app expects to write
to - try filemon & regmon (google) for help.

That said, since you've got AD, why do this at the workstation anyway? You
have a couple of better options - restricted groups, or even a computer
startup script. I like to create two AD groups: LocalAdmin and
LocalPowerUser. I add them to the respective workstation groups via startup
script. I can then add the domain users to the AD groups and remove them at
will, from one location....but I don't like to have users run as anything
other than users, for daily driving.

You might post in a GP group if you need more information on this.

"Jesper" wrote:

First, why would you want users to be full local administrators? It
is a really bad idea.

Second, at what point do you get the access denied? If you are
logging on with a non-domain account you would get it trying to
access the user list on the domain. More likely though is that you
are logged on with a non-administrative account that does not have
the right to modify the Administrators group.

"RichardH" wrote:

When I attempt to add a domain user or group to the local
administrator group, "Access is denied".

I have tried removing the computer from the domain and adding it
back.

We are able to add users and groups from cmd line, but the settings
don't actually apply. Users still do not have full administrative
priviledges.

We are running Windows XP Professional SP2 on our clients and
Windows Server 2003 on our domain controller.

  • RE: Logical drive sharing with Windows 2003 Server
    ... all local logical drives are shared as ... Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003). ... Such hidden administrative shares that are created by the computer (such as ... administrators and programs or services that rely on these shares. ...
  • Re: firewall on budget ?
    ... On my local computer when I need to do admin tasks I usually start the ... respective Programs via runas ... Even administrators don't need to create files in C:\ (although ... Windows xp only has preinstalled, ...
  • Re: Unable to add domain user or groups
    ... RichardH typed: ... Can you remotely manage the workstations in ADUC, access the groups, and add ... administrators cannot perform windows update ...
  • Re: Unable to add domain user or groups
    ... Check the DNS settings on an affected workstation. ... administrators cannot perform windows update except if logged in as ... That said, since you've got AD, why do this at the workstation anyway? ...