Re: Can't decrypt crypted files

"4N" <xxxx@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:45896549$0$19104$4fafbaef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you crypted by EFS and you didnt define recovery agent or you havent
got certificates (are created automatically when you crypted first
time) - your data has already lost.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!
are you sure I can't rename back my folders and use the recovery console
somehow!?!?
and btw what are EFS and how should have I stored those certificates? and
how an average user should know about it if it isn't written anywhere in
the dialogs of explorer!?
and btw why windows should crypt files using some not know password when
it has username and login password to begin with!?!?!?
I can't believe it!!!
@##]+*-

Help!!!

EFS = Encrypted File System.
On command, Windows uses a single key encryption method to perform the
encryption. The person who issued the command must keep a copy of the
encryption certificate because that is the only way to recover the
information. No, Windows does not keep a copy because doing so would render
encryption worthless as a security measure.

The reason that Windows encrypted the files is that someone told it to do
so. That someone should have kept a record of the encryption key.

I don't use this facility because it is too likely that I won't be able to
find my copy of the key when I need it most.

Jim

  • File Encryption
    ... encryption and I was wondering if someone here could help ... certificates, I was slightly worried about what to do. ... recover my windows instead of a fresh install. ... they too appeared with some correct settings like ...
  • Re: Certificate attributes for Smart Card Logon
    ... unfortunately, as far as I know if you have the "Secure Email" application Policy set, a certificate by default may not just be used for email signature but also email encryption! ... If you enable the Smart Card Logon, Client Authentication, and Secure Email application Policies, this ensure that the smart card cannot be used for actual encryption. ... My domain controllers each already have their own certificates. ...
  • Re: Can I access a decrypted file if I have all the files backed u
    ... encryption even involved certificates or keys. ... I am unsure what attempting a repair install might do (or even attempting to ... in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows XP ...
  • Re: Certificate attributes for Smart Card Logon
    ... signature but also email encryption! ... If you enable the Smart Card Logon, Client Authentication, and Secure ... controllers each already have their own certificates. ...
  • Re: RECOVERING MY ENCRYPTED HD FROM DEAD WINDOWS 2000
    ... certificates were probably only stored on the reinstalled ... file encryption key - different for each file, ... document formats have some standard bytes in - once matched ... The install wouldn't ...