Re: User dies, password lost

JP wrote:

Here is a challenge.
My father died last week.
He has two computers, one a Toshiba notebook, the other a Dell
Desktop. I managed to find his PWD for the Toshiba and hoped it would
be the same for
the Dell, but apparently is not. Drive could hold important
information. How to get into the Dell without the PWD?

Not hard at all.

Cut/paste:
In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to
the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not
work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: User dies, password lost
    ... He has two computers, one a Toshiba notebook, the other a Dell ... How to get into the Dell without the PWD? ...
  • Re: Dell Accused of Concealing Evidence in PC Suit
    ... computers it sold to businesses, according to a filing made Thursday. ... Michael S. Dell. ... A.I.T. that accuses Dell of selling at least 11.8 million faulty PCs ... and argued that its business had been put at risk. ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)
  • Re: Connie, here is your laptop.... [WAS: Re: Computer advice please?]
    ... That's an Intel Chip set as well. ... Dude you been smoking crack with the Dell Dude your getting a Dell person? ... most MODERN computers come with a FRONT SIDE BUS that can be configured... ... Yep bill I know this stuff because I design it AT THE CHIP LEVEL. ...
    (alt.gathering.rainbow)
  • Looking at New Computers
    ... but I called Dell a few months back as ... I was looking at their new computers, ... 600 watt power - he claimed this was enough for a half decent graphics ... bought my current computer I got a 60GB drive (as a free upgrade even) ...
    (rec.games.computer.ultima.dragons)
  • Re: Wikileaks, secondary effects
    ... Another 1 minute to install a driver, ... Oddly enough computers have a loop attached to the access panel to slip ... I guess these aren't your standard home computers from Dell or HP, ... The article works on the assumption that thumb drives still work, ...
    (sci.military.naval)