Re: computername\username not wanted in xp pro

<EMERY_BILL@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
have been signing in as owner forever and have had my documents,
desktop etc. just fine. now all of a sudden when i login im loged in as
computername.owner and i have a all new desktop and my documents etc.
is this the result of some automatic update or something ? how can i
get back to just logging in as owner ? i know my desktop and
mydocuments etc are there because i can click on documents and settings
and see just owner and all the folders desktop my documents etc.

A user account and a profile are two different things. An account is an
identity, and has a name and a password. A profile is a folder (located by
default under \documents and settings in Windows XP) containing documents,
desktop icons, user-specific registry and so on for a particular account.

You are still logging in as the same user account, but the something under
the profile folder for that user (under Documents and Settings) apparently
became corrupted. Windows therefore created a new profile for you
automatically, and prefixed it with the computer name to avoid having a
duplicate folder name. If this only happened once, your best bet is to just
copy over your files and settings to the computername.owner folder - see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 (you don't need to do the part about
creating a new profile in that document- you can keep using your existing
account.)

If the profile is repeatedly being corrupted, that is usually an early sign
of a failing hard drive or memory.

Memory diagnostic: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Hard drive diagnostic:
http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm (designed for
Maxtor/Quantum hard drives but it will test any manufacturer.)

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

  • Re: Unable to delete user profile folder using default Admin. acco
    ... I recognize that this isn't Microsoft Tech Support. ... about removing this pesky little profile folder and I'm done. ... the second account's original profile folder is giving me ... It appeared to have been deleted like the first account when I ...
  • Re: Unable to delete user profile folder using default Admin. acco
    ... Is anybody else out there who's an actual Microsoft Tech Support person that's willing to offer a more reasonable "professional" response than disconnect the fuse to the house? ... the original profile folders using procedures outlined elsewhere ... the second account's original profile folder is giving me ... It appeared to have been deleted like the first account when I ...
  • Re: Unable to delete user profile folder using default Admin. acco
    ... helpful and far less hostile assistance in another Microsoft Newsgroup. ... the original profile folders using procedures outlined ... the second account's original profile folder is giving me ... It appeared to have been deleted like the first account ...
  • Re: Unable to delete user profile folder using default Admin. acco
    ... the original profile folders using procedures outlined elsewhere ... "Delete" in Control Panel | User Accounts. ... the second account's original profile folder is giving me ... It appeared to have been deleted like the first account when I ...
  • Re: Unable to delete user profile folder using default Admin. acco
    ... clean install is problematic. ... the original profile folders using procedures outlined ... the second account's original profile folder is giving me ... It appeared to have been deleted like the first account ...