Re: Program Locks and Controls

Ashley wrote:

I was just wondering if there was any way to "lock" programs under a
limited user account in Windows XP? I want to create an account for my
preschooler, but I want them to have access to the programs that are
for them to use, and nothing else. I would like to lock programs that
have no use to them.

Your preschooler's user account should be Limited. From your account,
edit the child's Start Menu to only show the programs to which you want
them to have access. Do this by right-clicking on the Start button and
choosing "Explore All Users".

There are definitely more complex ways of doing this and you might want
to explore how to limit your child as s/he grows older, but a
preschooler isn't going to be able to circumvent this first simple
step.

If you don't even want him/her to have access to the Start Menu but
would rather just put a few icons on the Desktop, then look at either
MVP Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared Computer Toolkit for
greater control.

http://www.dougnknox.com
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Starange behavior in XP limited account
    ... limited user account in XP SP2. ... Upon running for the first time under this newly created limited account, as my app's splash screen was showing, a small window popped up with "Microsoft Platform SDK " and a progress bar. ... The unusual behavior does not repeat under the same user account, not even when I create another new one. ... My app runs fine on 'virgin' Windows 98, XP, and Vista systems. ...
  • XP Pro User Policies
    ... I am using NTFS. ... I created a limited user account, ... access Windows Explorer and go to many of the sub-folders. ...
  • Adminstrater is lost. help!
    ... I am new to this Windows XP. ... we have lost administrator account and we are left with limited user account. ...
  • Re: Cannot connect to the Internet
    ... My Windows 2000 pro PC is connected to the internet (Local Area ... Connection 2 Status icon shows "Connected" with a speed of 10.0 ... Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com ... user account which is interfering with the PC. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc)
  • Re: Office 2007 Setup Successful - but Office wont run
    ... I am glad to hear that Office works fine under the new Windows account. ... Office 2007 Setup Successful - but Office won't run ... I have created a new local user account with administrative privileges and when I log in, ... Newsgroups: microsoft.public.office.setup ...
    (microsoft.public.office.setup)