Re: Help needed on Setting permissions for FTP

You may also want to post in the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup. The link
below may help as firewall configuration will differ depending on if active
or passive FTP is being used. If possible check your router to see if it
logs dropped traffic that can give you a clue as to what is going on. The
description of your problem leads me to believe that it is a configuration
problem with your router.

Steve

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

"snookie51" <snookie51@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
My XP SP2 computer is connected to a Netgear router and I have set it up
run ftp service. As my ISP blocks the usual port 21, I did the following
get around it:

1. Port forwarding is created on the Router to use start port 10008 and
end
port 10009 (Can someone explain what these start and end ports are)

2. The FTP server is configured to use my router assigned IP address and
port 10008

3. iusr_my computer is used for anonymous login.

4. Necessary NTFS permissions are assigned to iusr on server's home
directory.

5. A new service is created in the firewall settings, viz. My FTP Server,
use internal port 10008 and external port 10008. A port entry is also
added
in 'Exception' to open port 10008.

When I ftp to the server using the internal IP address, I can access the
server. However, when I try to ftp using the ISP-assigned address, I
always
get this annoying message:

"An error occurred opening that folder on the
FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access that
folder.

Details
-----------
-----------

Where can the problem be? My computer, router settings, what else?
I am totally out of wits. Anybody's help will be very much appreciated.

--
Daniel S Lee

  • RE: FTP Server on SBS 2003
    ... You connect the SBS to a third party Router and forward port 21 to the SBS ... the FTP does not work. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: getting vsftpd into active mode
    ... Is the an FTP command? ... but the client has to comply. ... Active ftp requires an incoming port open at the router ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: SBS 2003 cant ftp from outside lan
    ... To the best of my knowledge, there is no application level gateway in the SBS basic firewall, that's the sort of thing you get with ISA. ... If that's OK, or if there's only one NIC, then it's the router that's the issue. ... Henrik asked if you had opened it for FTP, and you replied as above, but that's not the answer to the question. ... This means that the initial connection must set up a NAT table entry not only for that connection, normally on port 21, but must set up the same translation for port 20, the data port, from which it has not yet seen any connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: IPSwitch, Inc. WS_FTP Server
    ... > bounce attack as well as PASV connection hijacking. ... > The FTP bounce vulnerability allows a remote attacker to cause the ... > anonymously along with any internal addresses that the FTP server has ... That means it's got to handle a PORT ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: BBC TV 4 - Hawkwind: Do not panic
    ... you get an ftp server running in 10.4.8. ... And if you're on a router don't forget to forward the correct ports. ... router is set up so any requests to it at any port doesn't go anywhere. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)