Re: Removing a program, Is it safe to delete class registry keys

TPK wrote:
Hi,

I want to install a new version of a program on my computer. I
uninstalled the old version of the program and tried to install the
newer version. While installing this new version I recieve several
errors, the most common was:

Application Error
The instruction at "ox00000030" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be written.

To that end I am cleaning out registry references for both version of
the programs to try another installation.

I have uninstalled the (failed new version installation) program and
have removed the major registry settings in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

While walking through the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT I located a number of
classes that were created by either the older program I originally
removed or the newer program I am trying to remove. Several of these
class had "duplicate" entries. The duplicate entry was appended with a
".1"

Is it safe to delete these classes from the registry?

TPK

If they are for sure from the program you uninstalled, yes. A freebie
called cccleaner might make it an easier task to sort it out.
http://www.ccleaner.com/features.aspx

HTH
Pop`

  • Re: Error opening & saving attachments in OE6
    ... I fully understand the time difference. ... Yes, it should, done properly...but you'd have to uninstall SP3 before you'd be able to uninstall IE7. ... Afterwards, of course, you'd need to install SP3 again and then all critical security updates released since June 2008. ... Registry Mechanic; RegistryProt 2.0) may have caused the ...
  • Re: Error opening & saving attachments in OE6
    ... present up-to-date IE7 proceed smoothly? ... to install SP3 again and then all critical security updates released since ... After that, plenty of missing ... Registry Mechanic; RegistryProt 2.0) may have caused the ...
  • Re: UNINSTALL WMP 10 TOTALLY
    ... It may be for several install attempts. ... Setup version 10.00.00.3802.] ... Adding dependency type 'Definition' to registry. ... SUCCESS: Package 'Windows Media Player'. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player)
  • Re: Error opening & saving attachments in OE6
    ... Registry Mechanic; RegistryProt 2.0) may have caused the ... you're looking at a Repair Install or a format & clean ... Don't worry about iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll being missing with IE7 ... folders created for this purpose. ...
  • Re: Error opening & saving attachments in OE6
    ... that or a Repair Install may be your only option. ... uninstalling SP3 and then IE7 should not affect any OE ... After that, plenty of missing ... Registry Mechanic; RegistryProt 2.0) may have caused the ...