Re: problems with windows logon

peter m wrote:

username and password not being accepted in "Log On to Windows" screen

only change between logon working and rejecting is sign up to MS
Passport network

could this be causing the problem

I do not have an administrators logon or password

Signing up for a Passport shouldn't have caused this. In XP Home, boot
the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key
as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu.
Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here. Once in
Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. The
default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Windows Logon Screen Changed and classic style now shows....
    ... computer you have a box in classic style saying windows is logging off. ... login name is the administrator with NO password. ... One of the updates for .net framework adds a user account. ... what causes the extra logon step. ...
  • Re: Windws XP Log-on problem HELP!
    ... my normal boot up does not require a logon. ... administrative privileges you can log into that account and change your ... you'll need to log into the built-in Administrator account. ... "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows. ...
  • Re: Windows Logon Problem
    ... Not sure what is meant by 'limited' user accounts, but here is what I can ... post before screwing up the Logon. ... The password for the built in Windows Administrator account is normally ...
  • Re: Local security policy HELP
    ... I changed the local security policy. ... > It will allow me to dialup but that doesn't help to logon ... Administrator] that might still have this permission to log on ... While some of the Windows Resource Kit utilities are available for free ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: WAS unable to log in to XP Pro
    ... Renaming the Computer is what I tried to do, but I think I might have typed ... incorrectly too many times and disabled the logon entirely. ... on as this user to any other PC and as the Administrator at any other PC is ... I was able to get onto Windows but no ...