David H. Lipman wrote:
From: "Sue King" <cati@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

| Should I be able to ping the pcs for this to work ? Ping returns
| 'destination host unreachable'
|
| TIA
| Sue

Yes.

You should also be able to to the NetBIOS information after issuing...

nbtstat -A IP_address

Make sure the WinXP FireWall is NOT an issue. Disable it while diagnosing the problem.

  • Re: RPC across subnets
    ... | The problem was in the network set up. ... Knowing that it should work made ... My early attempts with a gateway did not work ...
  • Re: cant share files/printer over network
    ... >I have run the network set up wizard and cannot access the ... >shared files or printer. ... >I can ping their IP addresses but not their names and they cannot ping me by ... Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions ...
  • cant share files/printer over network
    ... I have run the network set up wizard and cannot access the ... shared files or printer. ... I can ping their IP addresses but not their names and they cannot ping me by ... windows help it comes up as failed becasue I cannot ping my own IP. ...
  • Strange Network Problem
    ... i have a network set up using windows xp. ... strange part is that it used to work. ... with file sharing and print sharing. ... computer but i can ping from the computer. ...