Re: Windows firewall and wireless net working

See the links below for more details but basically you tap the F8 key just
before the operating system starts to load.

Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx?mfr=true
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/

"trekced" <trekced@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for your input!
I am just going by what the AOL message is telling me. It says that the
the
problem may be caused by a firewall and to my knowledge the windows
firewall
is the only one on my computer. I do have Web-Root and Norton but can't
find
any mention of a firewall on either one of them! I don't know about a
internet router. I have a cable modem plugged into a wireless router.

Don't know how to boot in safe mode with networking.
Do I type msconfig from the start/run menu? Selective start up? Can you
provide step by step?

I know the gateway is correct because it was working and I have the
network
setup notes.

I tried the link and it is unavailable. Thanks anyway.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

The Windows Firewall would not prevent you from accessing the internet
and
it sounds like you can not even get it started anyway which means that it
is
not running. I surely hope you have some sort of firewall protection such
as
if you have an internet router which could be part of your wireless
access
point. Anyhow if you have some other application that is installed that
is a
software firewall or can act as one then that could be blocking access.
Assuming you do have an internet router protecting your network try
booting
your computer into Safe Mode with networking to see if you can then
access
the internet as needed and if you can then you definitely have a startup
service or program that is causing your access problem and you can use
msconfig to try and find the culprit in a trial and error method with
selective startup.

If none of that helps you have some other problem with your wireless
network
or tcp/ip configuration such as not using the correct default gateway or
DNS
servers that are usually provided automatically by the DHCP server built
into the internet router. The link below may help you on the basics of
troubleshooting network connectivity. As far as hibernation you may want
go into Control Panel/power options to tweak your power settings such as
disabling hibernation. There may also be settings in the properties of
the
network adapter in Control Panel/network connections that you can tweak
for
the way it works for power saving.

Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314067

"trekced" <trekced@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi all, I am having trouble with my wireless set up. My remote
computer
shows I am connected to the wireless connection and that the signal is
good
but I can't get online to AOL. The message tells me it might be a
firewall
setting and to configure the software to allow AOL access to the net
work.
can't figure out how to do it! Every time I click on windows firewall
it
gives me an error that says ICS isn't running, do you want to start?
Then
when I say yes I get a message that tells me windows can't start it.
The
other issue is when my toshiba laptop goes into hibernate it seems to
lose
all the wireless networking settings and I have to set it all up every
time.
Please, any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am about
go
crazy!!!!

  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main piece of hardware you need to buy is a router. ... Because wireless routers for home use are ... you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: share my printer between 2 computers and surf with 2 computers at same time
    ... The main choice you have to make is whether to have the router include wireless capability or not. ... Because wireless routers for home use are relatively inexpensive these days, I'd suggest buying a wireless router even if you don't initially intend to use that capability. ... If you already have a UTP cable going between upstairs and downstairs, you can use that to have a wired network. ... caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; ...
  • Re: Home network problem
    ... I think part of the issue has been a firewall issue. ... top computer running windowsxp professional with a lyksys wireless router. ... All were able to access the internet and share folders and printers ... setting up the same type network i had before and was only able to get the ...
  • Re: Perhaps the most OBVIOUS question you will ever see.
    ... I am not saying it is a good idea to run an open wireless access ... Internet firewall in place, I would worry more about the threat from ... Packets to and from machines on the wired network are not ...
    (microsoft.public.security)