Re: I cannot activate Windows firewall

andreas wrote:

Dear Everybody,

For some reason I cannot activate Windows firewall. I have installed
SP2 for XP and I go to the Security center icon in the control panel
and I notice that the Firewall section is turned to 'OFF'. I then
click on the 'recommendations' exactly under and a pop-up come out
asking me to 'enable' Windows firewall. Doing this results in another
pop-up saying:

'We're sorry. The security center could not turn on Windows Firewall.
To try turning on the firewall yourself, go to Windows Firewall in the
Control Panel. In the Windows Firewall dialog General tab, select on
(recommended), and then click OK.'

I then do exactly that and discover that all possible selections are
turned off (colour grey). This way I cannot activate the firewall.

Do you have an antivirus with a firewall component or a third-party
security suite installed? Examples are Norton and McAfee. If this is
the case, those third-party products have disabled the Windows Firewall
in favor of their own. This is fine.

If you don't have anything installed like that, was the computer
completely virus/malware-free when you installed SP2? Be sure the
machine is clean:

Aside from that, here are some links to help you troubleshoot the WF:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall in XPSP2 - http://tinyurl.com/3tnkt

Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings error (Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm

Reset the Windows Firewall Policy settings to defaults -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/resetfwpol.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Help with security center and firewall
    ... I unistalled my Norton Internet Security and it seems that it took with ... Windows cannot display Windows firewall ... So I then go to the Windows Security Center in the Control Panel. ...
  • Re: xp firewall
    ... Center prior to SP2 and that if the Sec. ... > detected) and its own separate icon was added in Control Panel (to make it ... >> Windows Firewall. ... Is the Windows Security Shield in your control panel? ...
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] SP2 is killing me. Help?
    ... ability of some applications to receive information from outside ... functionality problems encountered as a result of installing SP2. ... Windows Firewall improvements and the changes in how RPCs are handled ... Pack 2, is a welcome addition to PC security, it doesn't provide certain ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Anti-Virus Suggestions Please
    ... Why You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail ... "...Windows Defender did excel in behavior-based protection, ... traffic will not in any way enhance the security of your os, ... the Windows Firewall in XP does a fantastic job ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Recurrent question
    ... >> applications from communicating outbound. ... Which is why the Windows Firewall is sufficient. ... Security needs to be reliable otherwise you don't have security. ... Because they are reliable in the scenarios they are made for. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)