Re: remote registry switch off ?

Go to Control Panel
->Admin Tools
->Services
->Remote Registry

I've stopped this service on my PC, no probs so far, but it's your choice.

This hackers account might also interest you. Click on the Video button
on this page. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4154917.stm
And listen towards tend of interview where he mentions remote reg switch.

stevenjf wrote:

Colin

thanks your help .

if i dont really need it then please advise how to turn it off .

i dont intend to remotely fiddle with the registry on my pc or others on my
network .

i presume by turning it off it wont mean i cant transfer information around
the network such as data etc .

thanks

Steve

"Colin Nash [MVP]" wrote:

  • RE: 0x7c911e58 error
    ... was still using the registry during log off. ... Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the DHCP ... Server) for the Network Card with network address 000E3541722C. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: For the AdaOS folks
    ... > could be on any workstation in the network. ... >>root file system, which obviously is only local to one node. ... - Joining (hard pressed to think of any registry entry I wanted ...
    (comp.lang.ada)
  • Re: Cant connect to computers
    ... Now that the connection has been made, ... machine via network neighborhood then the good machine can ... by using Registry Editor or by using another method. ... How much time elapses between when the laptops ...
  • Re: Workstation and Server Services quadruple boot time
    ... Is this computer a member of a business or home network? ... (The specified domain either does not exist or could not be ... Event Source: AutoEnrollment ... service was still using the registry during log off. ...
  • Re: Problem with Windows 98SE computer networking with XP computer
    ... I have a home network with one XP Pro SP2 computer (called ... DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1 ... Both computers have several shared folders. ... XP doesn't even need this registry key. ...