Re: Help with Guest account

Hi, I am writing with an update regarding this issue. I disabled the Guest
Account and created a new User Account. Problem is there too, however
something really odd is going on. I get the "Access Denied" dialog box, but I
am able to access ALL programs and IE works just fine as well. I can browse
and use all programs. However, this little two word dialog box just sits on
screen always. I can put it under the programs, which hides it, move it
around the screen and even place it so it is nearly gone at each edge of the
screen and under the taskbar. What is up with this darn annoying dialog box?
If Access is Denied, what access is being denied? Why if Access is Denied am
I able to use every feature on the User Account? Same thing in the Guest
Account as well. How do I get rid of this dialog box? While I am able to make
it unobtrusive, I have to fiddle with it each time I or somebody else logs on
to the account. Very annoying! lol At least the account is functioning, so
progress is occurring, which is good news. I am in contact with Corel, the
program I suspect is at the root of this, but so far the person responding to
my queiries is unable to fix this as well. He told me to go into C:\Program
Files\Corel and make sure the Guest Account has Full Permissions. Then to go
to HKEY_Current_User\Software\Corel, right click then select permissions and
make sure the Guest Account has Full Permissions there too. However, niether
this folder or key have the Guest Account listed as an authorized User. The
folder has myself, the creater owner, administrators, power users (me) and
Users, but not Guest. Isn't Guest a member of the Users Group? The Registry
Key has Me, administrators, System, and an odd User entry called Restricted,
but not Guest, or Users. Any ideas out there on what is causing this problem
and how to get rid of the Access Denied dialog box? Thanks in advance for any
seree

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Sorry to hear your experience with Dell. I think you may find some progress
not using the built in guest account so let us know when you around to all
that though again some poorly written [from a security point of view] will
not run right or at all for a regular user either. Sounds like you are
coming along just fine learning about your operating system and computer and
you will learn a lot resolving situations like the one you currently are
having though it is a pain until you do get it resolved. I also recommend
taking advantage of the built in Help for XP. It is surprisingly good once
you learn how to make the most of it.Let us know how things progress.

Steve

"seree" <seree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you for your correction as it did have me a tad confused. I hear
what
you are saying about the guest account. I am seriously considering all you
had to say in regards to not using it. I am considering creating a limited
user account which will be for guests and then use the permissions to
control
it. I am just learning how to use the Local Users and Groups Console and
the
Group Policy Console. I do a lot of reading and research before I do
anything. Well, most anything! lol I have also been following some of your
links in answers to others here. I am self taught. I have a lot to learn,
but
am doing so as quickly as I can. I sent an e-mail off to the Corel folks
with
the Event Viewer ID and description of the events. I still need to contact
Belkin about the adapters. Just thought to update you on my progress. I
really appreciate all the hard work you and others do here in assisting
all
us who are lost and/or learning. I use to have a great help desk by Dell
but
they cut it off after I exchanged CPU's. They told me if I purchased my
replacement unit through Dell it would transfer to the new unit. Well,
they
reneged on that after I bought the unit of course. Drat them! lol But that
help desk was great. They don't sell the help desk in one or two year
contracts any longer. Only in "instances" or a package of five instances.
Which is the point in them cancelling out on me later. Darn! Oh, well.
Thanks
again for all your assistance. I will write back on this strand when I
find
out what is going on.
--
seree

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

My mistake. I meant to say that I never use the built in guest account -
sorry about that. Enabling the built in guest account can be a security
risk
as I mentioned by allowing anonymous access to your computer shares if
everyone has permissions for share and NTFS permissions even is simple
file
sharing is disabled. And I did enable the built in guest account and had
no
problem accessing the internet with it as it uses that same network
connection as configured by an administrator even though guest can not
see
network connections.

Glad to hear you have made some apparent progress but again I would
suggest
that you not use the built in guest account and instead create regular
user
accounts that use a password for those users that you want to have
limited
access to the operating system. Unfortunately there are far too many
programs that will not work unless the user is also in the local
administrators group though I am not sure if your Corel program is one of
them.

Steve

"seree" <seree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve, You misunderstood. I did not say I was using the default
built-in
Administrators Account. You are absolutely correct in how dangerous and
even
foolish that would be. No, I said the my main account, the one I used
enable the Guest Account is "an" administrator account. Big difference.
Thanks for enabling your built in admin account to see if you could
recreate
the problem you thought I was having. I have two computers networked,
both
with user accounts with identical passwords for networking. I have NTFS
permissions, have disabled the Simple File Sharing, but have not as yet
done
any intricate shares other than just allowing access to my fiance's and
my
documents. That is the only share I have created since setting up the
network. I enabled the guest account so my son could use the computer
play
games during a recent visit. This was when I discovered the "access
denied"
error along with the Corel photo program attempting to install. I read
sometimes
software does not have proper permissions to run under the Guest
Account
and
the person suggested contacting the manufacturer and seeing if this may
cause
this problem.

Now, I was finally able to get connectivity on the Guest Account on my
other
networked computer. It was not anything I did, just this morning it
worked.
There was an error, but it did not give me a chance to write it down. I
will
see if it replicates next time I open it. At this point I don't know
what
do other than wait for the replication of the other computer I just
mentioned
and contact Corel about this program not having permissions to run with
the
Guest Account. Thanks for responding to my problems. Sorry about the
misunderstandings regarding what type of account I was using. I am not
any
where close to an expert, but I am not a complete beginner now either.
have
a LOT to learn, and really appreciate all the help you and others here
provide. Thank you for your time, have a nice evening. I will post
again
when
I get this worked out or if I come up with something new to describe.
Bye,
Seree
--
seree

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Hi Seree.

Thanks for the very detailed information! I personally never use the
built
in administrator account because enabling it on XP Pro can be a
security
vulnerability as it will allow access to shares that have everyone
permissions to for share and folder/NTFS permissions. But just to see
enabled it and was able to access the internet right away without a
problem
as I thought it would work and I noticed that guest could not see any
connections in networking properties just as you described though I
did
have
networking connectivity. Network configuration is configured at the
"computer" level by an administrator and will then work for any user
that
logs onto the computer assuming no software firewall is applying user
specific settings. However the connection settings in IE can vary per
user
and if proxy settings are enabled in advanced settings that can cause
access
problems for IE. I am still curious if you can create another user
account
and logon with that account and access the internet? I also wonder if
you
were able to ping or do ipconfig /all for the guest account and what
the
results were though I believe you mentioned that you get access denied
errors when you try that as the guest account.

If that is the case that leads me to believe that some process,
possibly
an
internet "protection" or spyware/malware program, is locking down the
guest
account and preventing your access to it even as administrator. If
that
is
the case then booting into Safe Mode with networking may bypass such
restrictions. Otherwise if an application is doing such lockdown you
will
need to logon as administrator and undo those restrictions if that is
what
is happening. You also could try using runas to run commands while
logged
on
as guest to do ping and ipconfig /all which are needed to establish
basic
network connectivity.

Having said all that again I do not recommend using the built in guest
account on your computers but instead create another user account that
by
default will not be in the administrators group and use that account
for
user that you want to use the computer without advanced privileges.
Best
practice is to create a user account for each user that logs onto the
computer. Then each user will have their own profile that can
customize
the
way they want and the security log will track logon/logoff activity of
the
users. You as administrator then can use NTFS permissions to specify
which
folders a user can access and which applications they can run.

My bottom line here is that normally the built in guest account when
enabled
is not restricted to network connectivity, further testing needs to be
done
to determine is basic network connectivity exists for guest account
and
if
an application or process is interfering with normal access of the
guess
account and administrator account but having said that I strongly
recommend
that you do not use the built in guest account [keep it disabled] but
instead create other user accounts that are not also administrators.

Steve

"seree" <seree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Good morning Steve, Thanks for responding. I only have a little time
this
morning. First, I am not a complete beginner. I am self taught via
books
from
Microsoft Press such as Windows XP Inside Out by Ed Bott and others,
other
books, Microsoft resourses, etc. The "Guest" account I am referring
IS
the
Guest account, not a limited user account. I have a great Internet
Security
Suite--Panda, there is no Viruses, spyware or other malware on
either
computer. I have not had time to ping in the Guest Account in my
other
computer as yet, I can't in "MY" computers Guest Account due to the
"Access
Denied" situation. I am unable to do anything in that Guest account.
was
woondering if the "Access Denied" may have something to do with the
Corel
photo program attempting to install in "My" Guest account. "MY"
referring
my computer, the other is my fiance's computer. Sorry if that was
not
made
clear my having two computers both with problems with the Guest
Account.

I first enabled the Guest Account on my computer. It came up with
the
access
denied, with the Corel Photo program attempting to install
underneath.

Let me tell you a bit about these two computers. The are both XP
Pro-Actually Media Edition 2005. "Mine" is a Dell Dimension 5150,
Intel
Pentium D 820-2.8 Ghz, 4 Gigs RAM, 300 SATA Hard drive, ATI video
card,
Radean X600 256MB Hypermemory, six months old. The other computer is
my
fiance's. It is a 3 month old HP Pavilion a1445n, Pentium D 820-2.8
Ghz, 1
Gig RAM, 200 Gig Hard drive with RAID, NVIDA G Force 62000SE
TurboCache
Video card 256 MB. We have a wireless network with the Belkin Pre-N
Router
and the corresponding Belkin Adapters. The Network has been
functioning
fine
except for a few drops once in a while which I need to address with
Belkin
soon. That is a seperate issue. Just thought I would throw it in as
it
does
cause problems occasionally and I thought I should mention it just
in
case
you are aware of anything which it may relate to here that I don't
know. I
have configured the Router at 192.168.2.1 in the browser setup page.

  • Re: What does logon type mean???
    ... Run XP's Network Setup Wizard on that computer -- that's ... ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest ... The commands that I gave don't add passwords to any ... The only account that I suggested for those commands is the Guest ...
  • Re: USER PROFILE CORRUPT?? HELP!!!!!
    ... >Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be ... >that your network is functioning correctly. ... >problem persists, contact your network administrator. ... This is where the hidden account called ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Home network admin - can he browse my files?
    ... Network that I'll be connecting to in order to access the internet. ... the network administrator log on through the network to my laptop as ... account on the system have a complex password (Each of 4 character sets ... Can the network administrator log on ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Cant logon to Windows
    ... The network, a desktop, laptop and 2 printers, seems to be working ... Administrator and User Group and disabling all of the accounts. ... "This account has been disabled. ...
  • Re: xp pro asks for password
    ... With the Guest Account Enabled ... Norton Internet Security 2005 ... >permission to use this network resource. ...