Re: XP Pro reinstalled but want my old user account

jfiz wrote:
I need some help here. I hope to be clear I am french speaking... :)
My computer was running XP pro. I wanted to re install it to fix
some minor problems. I did the re install BUT I did a full install
and created a completely new user (lets call it A) with admin right
of course. Now I am stuck with this new desktop with nothing on
it...this is not what i want. I can see my old user (B) account
under c:doc and settings with all the programs in it.

Now under my "A" account not even office is installed. I do not
want to use this account I want to be able to log in with my "B"
user (the old one) and delete the "A" account.

Because I did a "new" installation even my restore calendar is
empty. It was full of restore points before...

Your "account" has little to do with the programs that are installed on the
system. If you did a second install - you will have to install all the
applications you want to use in order to actually utilize them. No matter
if you get the look/feel of your old user account back - you are not going
to gain full functionality of the applications without installing them
again.

You did a NEW install. You wanted to do a NEW install. It's what it sounds
like - a NEW INSTALL.

So, although you could pretty easily get your files/favorites and maybe even
your email from the old account, you will have to install everything else
again in order to make it work.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Delphi 4 IDE and applications in Vista
    ... I have always developed and installed my applications on XP machines, and everything seems to work OK. ... I am running using an identity with administrator privileges, but many of my files and folders seem to be shared with another identity. ... I can set the properties of the icon to run as administrator, and that works OK until the next install. ... Maybe I just need to delete the "Guest" user account, and keep the "Paul" account as administrator. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Delphi 4 IDE and applications in Vista
    ... I have always developed and installed my applications on XP machines, and everything seems to work OK. ... I am running using an identity with administrator privileges, but many of my files and folders seem to be shared with another identity. ... I can set the properties of the icon to run as administrator, and that works OK until the next install. ... Maybe I just need to delete the "Guest" user account, and keep the "Paul" account as administrator. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... create a 'documents' folder automatically if you install it to your ... as opposed to in Windows. ... will, upon creating a new user account, automatically create a user ... In most distributions, yes. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Advanced Client install nightmare
    ... I can successfully install manually using the SMS account. ... MS Client Configuration Manager cannot install the Advanced Client to ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: userName="machine" didnt work
    ... Juan, ... version) than the .42 dlls. ... Deleted the ASPNET account from "Local Users and Group – ... ASPNET user and allowed the ASP.NET install to re-create it. ...