Re: how to bypass administrative password

i did boot into safe mode as u advised ...but im sorry it just didnt
work...still looking for a password......any other suggestions?
--
fran

"frances1961" wrote:

thank you very much....sorry i had forgotten to mention that it was home
edition i am using.....weill lwt you know if this works...once again thank you
--
fran

"Malke" wrote:

frances1961 wrote:

my pc shut down.....n now when i switch it on it is asking for the
administrative password....i bought this pc second hand & havent got a
clue how to bypass this section.....everything i have tried n believe
me i have tried ( reprogramming it ....... tried recovery disc) each
time it still asks for this admin password.... i am not connected to a
network ....i am based at home...i have tried entering my user name &
password ......still it tells me that the system cannot log me
on.....somebody please help!!!! before i wreck this tower........

In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to
the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not
work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
that you will remember and make other desired changes.

With second-hand computers, it is best practice to do a clean install of
Windows. Although you don't need to do this to solve your current
problem, it would be wise not to keep someone else's traces on your
machine.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html - Clean Install How-To
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#reinstall_Windows - What
you will need on-hand

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

  • Re: Log on Windows XP Professional
    ... >Because of the security features built into Windows XP, ... administrator rights, you can ... >use that account to change the password of the account ... >First you need to boot the system into Safe Mode: ...
  • Re: Administrator Name and Password
    ... Although you did not set up a user account, you are in fact using one every ... boot the computer into Safe Mode. ... you will see the normally hidden Administrator account. ... Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: denied file access XP after OS HD crash
    ... I logged on in safe mode in administrator and was able ... >> I had to reinstall windows XP professionnal on a new HD. ... > Here is my standard post on how to access the Security tab: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Lost Admin Password
    ... In the user account type administrator, ... boot into Safe Mode (F8 after the post test ... Once Windows starts loading, you've missed it ...
  • RE: disable a computer from a network
    ... Choose "Safe Mode" and log on as Administrator. ... MCSE/MCSA 2003 Messaging ... "Do not run specified Windows applications." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)