Re: External drive access rights?

As Doug said you need to disable simple file sharing. I believe that may
have been mentioned in the links I provided. Anyhow open Windows Explorer
and go to tools/folder options - view and uncheck the last option for use
simple file sharing. You may then need to reboot the computer and should
then see the security tab if you are using NTFS file system which it sounds
like you are since access is currently being denied.

Steve

"charttricks" <charttricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thank you Steve. unfortunately this information only applies to files and
folders, and not external drives. When I right click and select
properties
on this drive, here is what I see --
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e370/zoogod/Sea.png

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Does the user in question have read/list/execute/write permissions to the
drive and is not a member of any group that has deny permissions? If
unsure
of how to check and change NTFS permissions see the link below.

Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

"charttricks" <charttricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
WinXP Pro all updates/patches.
Seagate 160gig external HD formatted in NTFS

Problem: External drive can not be written to from my user account
(access
is denied) but external drive *can* be written to from my Admin
account.

I have tried giving my User account Admin rights and THEN formatting
the
drive in NTFS, to see if that would make any difference. It does not.
As
soon as I remove Admin rights from my User account (after formatting
drive)
the problem is back again.

Thanks for any ideas.

  • Re: Sharing a Drive
    ... Pro can see Home's drives, but when Home tries to see Pro's drives, it is presented with the user name/password box. ... I know that setting up an identical user account on Home will allow it to see Pro's drives without the credentials, but that is not what I want to do. ... Otherwise try *enabling* simple file sharing on your XP Pro box, which will mean that you connect as Guest. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: External drive access rights?
    ... folders, and not external drives. ... of how to check and change NTFS permissions see the link below. ... I have tried giving my User account Admin rights and THEN formatting ...
  • Re: External drive access rights?
    ... folders, and not external drives. ... External drive can not be written to from my user account (access ... I have tried giving my User account Admin rights and THEN formatting the ...
  • Re: in lieu of swapping out hard drives
    ... external HDD you've connected to the ExpressCard eSATA ... Addonics AASA2SAP15C SATA-to-eSATA converter cable ... tests since as I said I hate having to rely on external drives and ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Question about Group Policies in XP.
    ... Logon as Administrator. ... > drives to NTFS. ... >>> policies under the user account but if I have to set these ... Should I give the user account administrator ...