Re: Updates Installing without My Permission

Bruce <parcxman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If go to the Windows Update site, I'm told I have to first install
Windows Genuine Activation. I really don't want to do that because of
the problems I've heard about it. Is it fixed yet?

WGA has to be installed in order to *manually* get to the Microsoft
Update site. However automatic update, for critical updates only,
will still work even if WGA is not installed.

It's getting rediculous how many patches Microsoft puts out. I think
it's about time to put out SP3.

Check the record for any other operating system and you will find as
many, if not more.

I looked at a website for one Linux distro (FreeBSD I think it was)
and they listed over 19 different versions of their product, each with
its own set of updates and patches.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

  • RE: Cannot Install Package Update re: KB898461
    ... they wanted to update my Windows Update site which it did automatically then. ... "Bill F" wrote: ... > I cannot get my system to install the update in KB898461. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Why does microsoft update want to keep installing the same upd
    ... Hi, I did what you suggested, but the windows update site says that I have ... >> install it, the update notification comes up with another update, except its ... > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Update - Wrong Post.
    ... Turns out that the version on the WIndows Update site ... After the download, the install began and the system ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Do SP2 updates have to be Reapplied after reinstallation of SP2?
    ... I originally installed XP Pro SP2 from the public windows update site. ... downloaded the SP2 for IT Professionials and created an install package for ...
  • Re: XP Validation Failure
    ... cellophane wrapped Microsoft box and all the tamperproof certificates are ... Then go to the Windows Update site, do a check for updates and install ... On-Line Help Computer Service ...