EFS - Lost Certificate, Access is denied

Hello everybody.

I have a "little" problem here. In 2005 I encrypted some
important files on my notebook, and of course I did a
backup of the certificate.

By switching to a new desktop pc I imported the cert and
copied the files - successfully.

Yesterday, after more than 6 months of happiness, I got
an "Access is denied" error message for every encrypted
file on my machine.

Oops, I thought, and deleted the two existing certs
whithout thinking a bit (ouch!!!!), and imported the
original cert which I thought was beeing in use for
encryption.

But with no success. In the meanwhile I know, that Windows
was using another cert for encryption (I think the second
which I deleted ...), I don't know why the hell it was
using this, but the fingerprint of the cert I get in
"Encryption Details" dialog is not the fingerprint of my
original cert.

And no: I didn't log in as Administrator before, so there
is also no recovery agent :-(.

Now the final question is: are the files lost? Or is there
any chance to rebuild the right cert (I've seen that, if no
cert is available it always creates a new with a random
fingerprint) or another way to get the data back?

I did not reinstall the system, and I did not change the
Useraccount ...

Thanks for every answer.

Regards

Thomas

  • Meridian Prolog Manager Username and Plain Text Password Disclosure
    ... This is being released without Meridian or CERT approval. ... Meridian has been dragging their feet and has shown no good intent ... "No Encryption" databases passes every password in plain text as it is ... characters the first returned hash (16 HEX characters after a standard ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Python & SSL
    ... Encryption has multiple meanings. ... a particular secret. ... intro to why this chain of trust isn't all it's cracked up to be. ... to paid some money to one of the dozens of cert authorities for a minimal ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: lack of encryption in instant messengers (NOT!)
    ... AOL Instant Messenger versions released in 2003 and 2004 have encryption ... Uses S/MIME and email certificates. ... Also, when both parties have certs, AIM file transfers between them use ... The AIM service itself acts as the cert repository (simplifying cert ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: lack of encryption in instant messengers (NOT!)
    ... AOL Instant Messenger versions released in 2003 and 2004 have encryption ... Uses S/MIME and email certificates. ... Also, when both parties have certs, AIM file transfers between them use ... The AIM service itself acts as the cert repository (simplifying cert ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Encryption Confusion - Accessed denied - Yes, I Googled HELP PLEASE
    ... Started to encrypt My Documents folder per the above kb article and then ... who tried encryption and realized I needed to learn more before proceeding). ... Exported the cert with its private key to a CD, JUST IN CASE, and "removed" ... decrypt them by importing the cert from the CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)