Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!

Steve - I reloaded SP2 on Saturday... to no avail. So for your instructions
below, I want to clarify that I perform all steps in the notepad file I
create (on the affected computer of course). And do not have to copy
anything in the registry. Just follow the steps below. Please confirm and
thanks. Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Do you have any other software firewall installed on the computer as that
can cause the Windows Firewall to be disabled?? What service pack are you
using? You can enter winver in the run box and then select OK to get service
pack info.

If you are using Service Pack 2 you can try using a .reg file that will
modify the registry to enable the firewall. Simply copy the lines below the
asterisks into notepad, save it with some name such as firewall1.reg, and
make sure you select all types for save as file type with notepad. Then
click that file, select yes when prompted, and see if it enables your
firewall after a reboot. To disable the firewall delete that key or change
the value to 0.

Steve

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I was able to delete windows firewall using the regedit syntax you
advised( in safe mode). Network connections did not display. Also, I now
have the machine virus free. When I re-booted, firewall under security
center is still not able to be turned on, it is still grayed-out. I do
not
want to connect to internet for fear that viruses and malware will attack.
Your further advice appreciated. Thanks - Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Just enter regedit in the run box and the hit OK to open the registry
editor. The in the upper left hand corner you will see HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
and you can expand it to find the keys I am talking about.

Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - Thanks. I'll try this evening. I apologize for what seems
elementary, but what is the path to regedit to open the registry
editor?
Am I
going to search all files and folders on the hard drive to find the
HKEY
files? I apprecite your help and will try this evening Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Try this. Logon as an administrator and use regedit to open the
registry
editor. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\ and if
you
see
a key under it for WindowsFirewall right click it and select delete.
The
go
to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\ and if you
see
key under it for Network Connections do the same. If you did make any
changes reboot your computer to see if that then helps.

Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I am now cleaning by my virus program i safe mode. Any
advice
on
how
to re-instate firewall? Thanks
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Do you get an error message or is it just grayed out?? Are you
using
XP
or XP Pro? --- Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve Thanks. When I go to security center I am not able to lick
firewall
on. It won't let me. I am down to 1 virus and will scan next in
safe
mode.
Thanks for the insight I'll update you - Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Are you able to turn the Windows Firewall back on?? If not what
happens
or
what exact error message do you get. Malware and spyware
commonly
disable
the Windows Firewall or other software firewalls which is why I
consider
it
an absolute MUST that those that have DSL/cable internet
connections
use
an
internet router or firewall appliance as their first line of
defense.
An
internet router costs less then taking the family to McDonalds
these
days
and can be purchased at Best Buy, Amazon, etc with names like
Netgear,
Linksys, and D-Link.

As you work on your malware problem be sure to also boot into
Safe
Mode
and
scan for both viruses and spyware in Safe mode. Also be sure
that
you
are
using the latest definitions for any program you scan with. If
you
currently
are not using a spyware detection and removal program I
recommend
trying
the
free for personal use AdAware SE. Make sure you read the link
below
on
Protect Your PC which will explain basics of security your
computer
and
has
further links on how to deal with viruses and spyware. Also I
STRONGLY
recommend that you do NOT use an account that is also an
administrator
account for routine activities and especially for browsing the
internet,
opening email, or using chat programs. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxpsp2/Default.mspx
--- Protect Your PC
http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/adaware/ --- AdAware SE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/ --- using Safe Mode

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Some malware or virus has shut off my firewall; start.., all
programs...,
accessories..., system tools..., security center. The
firewall
is
"checked"
off, not on which is recommended (and how I have it set). But
somthing
turned it off. I almost have the viruses and malware under
control.
Can
some one please advise how I can get the necessary sections of
my
XP
program
updated. If I have to do something with my original CD's,
please
be
specific
on which one to use, and how to properly load. Thanks...
Please
help -
Tom
--
Sony Luvy

  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... Steve - I am now cleaning by my virus program i safe mode. ... Sony Luvy ... the Windows Firewall or other software firewalls which is why I consider ... As you work on your malware problem be sure to also boot into Safe Mode ...
  • Re: changing to domain from workgroup
    ... I didnt see any errors in event viewer. ... cant get out on the internet. ... Any third party firewall software? ... What about in safe mode w/networking? ...
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... Steve - I was able to delete windows firewall using the regedit syntax you ... want to connect to internet for fear that viruses and malware will attack. ... Sony Luvy ... scan for both viruses and spyware in Safe mode. ...
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... Steve - I'm feeling more positive, ... Sony Luvy ... can cause the Windows Firewall to be disabled?? ... Network connections did not display. ...
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... I want to clarify that I perform all steps in the notepad file I ... anything in the registry. ... Sony Luvy ... can cause the Windows Firewall to be disabled?? ...