Re: Getting frustrated

Mark wrote:
I'm getting frustrated here.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and he's coming up with some lame excuses for this whole mess.

He told me this morning that he put on a valid key for this OS. Now he tells me that Microsoft is to blame that they changed the key and it should be valid but it isn't. He said that because that this is a corporate key that he can't properly change it.

You're "dealer" is an out and out crook. There is no such thing as a "corporate" key. There is no such thing as WinXP "Corporate Edition." That is a term applied exclusively to pirated (iow, stolen) copies of the Volume Licensed WinXP Pro by the "warez" aficionados.

Why then did he tell me it was fixed this morning?

Because he's a liar, as well as a fraud?

Now he tells me i have to back everything up and he will have to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS and Office for it to be fixed properly.

That's also not correct. All he, or you, need do is use a _legitimate_ retail or OEM full license of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using the new CDs and Product Keys.

This is turning out ot be a major pain in the neck. Plus now I have to leave it for several days for him to do it. Trying to put everything back the way it was is going to be a nightmare. Even if I back up my documents there's all my other settings and programs which I have to reinstall also.

What should I do now?

Contact your local law enforcement agencies, and then find another (honest) computer shop.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

  • Re: password issue from recovery console
    ... WinXP Pro asks the installer to set the Administrator's password during installation, ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: change user name
    ... To protect your personal information and data from any future users of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive and reinstall only the OS and those applications whose licenses are to be included in the sale/transfer. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: new.pc
    ... To protect any data from any future users of average skills, you should, at the very least, format the hard drive and reinstall only the OS and those applications. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Multiboot 2000 and XP
    ... drive to boot correctly and reinstall XP. ... limited computer skills, but it would take quite a bit more time. ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
  • Re: Microsoft Word off screen
    ... Can't reinstall as CD packed for moving home.Any help please? ... They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)