Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!

Steve - I will follow these directions. Whern I install the SP1 tonight it
is on my original CD. What if I get the message "version on comp is newer
than version on CD"? Is there a way to proceed? It seems to me when I tried
this before, original CDS couldn't proceed install because they were not
current versions. I;ll do SP1 and windows updates first to see if that
works. But will try the tcp/ip first as you recommned. Thanks for your
continued help. I do appreciate. Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

From what I can tell the registry setting you did should have configured the
firewall to be enabled yet something else is still blocking it of which I am
not sure what it is. When you first deleted the registry key under policies
that should have cleared any Group Policy type restrictions and the one you
just added should have configured a Group Policy type setting to enable it.
Possibly some process is still doing changes to the registry. What you might
want to consider is doing an upgrade/repair install which fixes a lot of
problems BUT requires that you first install your service pack [if not on
the install disk] and then going to Windows Updates to download and install
all the needed critical security updates again which will be all of them
after an upgrade/repair install. This is somewhat of a pain for those that
have high speed internet but can be very time consuming for those on dial
up. However an upgrade/repair install should preserve all your data and
applications and best practice is to always have backups of your important
data/media files to DVD/cdrom/USB drive. The link below explains more.

Something to try first is to reset tcp/ip with the netsh command as shown in
the link below. If your computer is configured to obtain IP info
automatically then there will not be a problem but if you have a static IP
then you will have to reconfigure again. You can use the command ipconfig
/all to view and document your current tcp/ip info. Unfortuneatly the repair
options in XP Home are very limited compared to XP Pro.

Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt as a possible command

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I just saw something unusual I think under firewall exceptions in
security center. It says firewall is turned off. Your network
administrator
is using group policy to control these settings. It shows some programs
and
services names below and "group policy" set to "no" for each. I don't
have a
network administrator, it's a standalone PC. (?) Thanks
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Hmm. In the run box enter services.msc to open the services Management
Console. Find the Windows Firewall Service and make sure that the startup
type is set to automatic and if it is the service should be started.
Check
the dependencies tab of the Windows Firewall service and make sure those
services are also started.

Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I'm feeling more positive, please stay with me. I created the
reg
file, clicked yes and OK to activate (buttons displayed and disappeared
so
fast). But I think I did it OK. When I re-booted and clicked security
center/firewall I got the following message "Windows firewall setting
cannot
be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you
want
start the Windows/firewall internet connection sharing (ICS) service?
clicked yes, and it displayed "Starting ICS..."

When I go in the access to turn-on is still grayed. I wonder if
services
is
not staying on. I have worked in services before at work, but cannot
recall
the syntax (not my normal job responsibility...). I just wonder now if
services is the problem.

Also, please note that I did create the reg file under administrator,
but
not in safe mode. I am still virus free as I have not connected the
comp
the net.

Again, please stay with me on this - Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

All you have to do is copy and paste those lines into a notepad file
and
save at as I showed. It will automatically modify the registry for
u. --- Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I reloaded SP2 on Saturday... to no avail. So for your
instructions
below, I want to clarify that I perform all steps in the notepad
file I
create (on the affected computer of course). And do not have to
copy
anything in the registry. Just follow the steps below. Please
confirm
and
thanks. Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Do you have any other software firewall installed on the computer
as
that
can cause the Windows Firewall to be disabled?? What service pack
are
you
using? You can enter winver in the run box and then select OK to
get
service
pack info.

If you are using Service Pack 2 you can try using a .reg file that
will
modify the registry to enable the firewall. Simply copy the lines
below
the
asterisks into notepad, save it with some name such as
firewall1.reg,
and
make sure you select all types for save as file type with notepad.
Then
click that file, select yes when prompted, and see if it enables
your
firewall after a reboot. To disable the firewall delete that key or
change
the value to 0.

Steve

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile]
"EnableFirewall"=dword:00000001

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - I was able to delete windows firewall using the regedit
syntax
you
advised( in safe mode). Network connections did not display.
Also,
now
have the machine virus free. When I re-booted, firewall under
security
center is still not able to be turned on, it is still grayed-out.
do
not
want to connect to internet for fear that viruses and malware
will
attack.
Your further advice appreciated. Thanks - Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Just enter regedit in the run box and the hit OK to open the
registry
editor. The in the upper left hand corner you will see
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
and you can expand it to find the keys I am talking about.

Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve - Thanks. I'll try this evening. I apologize for what
seems
elementary, but what is the path to regedit to open the
registry
editor?
Am I
going to search all files and folders on the hard drive to
find
the
HKEY
files? I apprecite your help and will try this evening Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Try this. Logon as an administrator and use regedit to open
the
registry
editor. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\
and
if
you
see
a key under it for WindowsFirewall right click it and select
delete.
The
go
to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
and
if
you
see
key under it for Network Connections do the same. If you did
make
any
changes reboot your computer to see if that then helps.

Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Steve - I am now cleaning by my virus program i safe mode.
Any
advice
on
how
to re-instate firewall? Thanks
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Do you get an error message or is it just grayed out?? Are
you
using
XP
or XP Pro? --- Steve

"sony654" <sony654@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Steve Thanks. When I go to security center I am not
able
lick
firewall
on. It won't let me. I am down to 1 virus and will
scan
next
in
safe
mode.
Thanks for the insight I'll update you - Tom
--
Sony Luvy

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Are you able to turn the Windows Firewall back on?? If
not
what
happens
or
what exact error message do you get. Malware and
spyware
commonly
disable
the Windows Firewall or other software firewalls which
is
why
consider
it
an absolute MUST that those that have DSL/cable
internet
connections

  • Re: Ftp connection - it worked
    ... I installed Comodo and it really allows me to connect to my ftp sites. ... strange behavior since the windows firewall allow my Limewire and MSN ... I would recommend that you install either ZoneAlarm ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... If you have an install disk that does not include SP2 and you currently have ... Possibly some process is still doing changes to the registry. ... It says firewall is turned off. ... Find the Windows Firewall Service and make sure that the ...
  • Re: Registry Cleaners...
    ... the network itself... ... I've not heard of registry garbage having a noticeable ... > - firewall settings, other security function settings crippling traffic? ... We install, of course, a corporate image and we are not allowed ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)
  • Re: Windows XP firewall and RPC question
    ... In the training they recommended not using what they called "personal firewalls" but there was no specific mention of Windows Firewall. ... In the 824994 document it talks about the command cardinal point QFE WindowsXp-KB826939-x86-ENU.exe /b:SP2QFE. ... Doing this will install all of the Windows XP COM+ Hotfix Rollup Package 9 fixes, in addition to the fixes released in the security bulletin MS05-051. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: XP Firewall Disabled - Help!
    ... changed dependency Network Connection startup to automatic ... I restarted the comp and tried to access firewall through security center. ... The message appeared "Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because ... anything in the registry. ...