Re: How to determine if MailSlots are enabled

Scott,

Download and run Filemon from Sysinternals :
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html

Named Pipes and Mail Slots

Starting in version 4.1 FileMon is able to monitor named pipe and mail slot file system activity on Windows NT/2K. Named pipes are commonly used as a communications mechanism in NT/Win2K by core subsystems like the Local Security Authority Subsystem (LSASS), and are used by DCOM. They are also used by network components such as the Browser service. To see named pipe activity with FileMon select Named Pipes in the Drives menu and perform an operation on a shared network resource, or open an application
such as Regedt32 that interacts with the security subsystem.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Scott Lester wrote:

According to the MS06-035 documentation MailSlots are not enabled by default on Windows XP SP2 workstations. How do you determine if they are enable or disabled?

  • Re: drives free space is automatically decreasing!!!...please help-Urgent
    ... FileMon monitors and displays file system activity on a system in real-time. ... Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User] ... And every other application also shows the decreased capacity which ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Named pipes (Re: Telnet based connection to A-Series)
    ... Just use the Windows APIs>for named pipes, ... to on>the MCP system. ... standard Windows/DOS command that will work with a named pipe instead of ... Three of them are for initiating WFL jobs: ...
    (comp.sys.unisys)
  • Re: Named Pipe Problem
    ... up on a call to WriteFile on the named pipe when under load. ... To start the test I open two "Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt" ... windows. ... debug directory. ...
  • Re: tail -f | gawk on Windows
    ... I can't see the file in Windows explorer or by dir /a:h. ... it is a regular file in the %WINDIR%\temp directory with a name like ... scs1502.tmp - windows creates the name to guarantee it to be unique. ... gawk also has an open named pipe and it's named the ...
    (comp.lang.awk)
  • WCF XP to Windows 7 -> System.IO.PipeException could not be found
    ... We have been trying to switch our applications from XP SP2 to Windows 7 ... In one product we use WCF and named pipe. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.distributed_apps)