Re: Service PacK 2 for Windows XP (XP SP2)

Hello!

"MM" <MM@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C503AAE6-5026-4C1E-89C6-A7438DB467E4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I downloaded service pact 2 several times but it caused a lot of problems
with my computer. I now have service pact 3. I was told that I should not
need service pact 2, but I keep getting a notict that my computer is not up
to date. Do I need service pact 2 if I already have 3?

Yes, it is good idea to have SP2 (service pack 2) for Windows XP (32-bit),
especially if you are connected to internet without router (NAT).
http://www.domain-b.com/infotech/itnews/2006/20060713_software.html
[quote]
Other than operating systems, the Windows XP Service Pack 1 will also be retired for good on Oct. 10, and users are being advised to
start planning now for completing upgrades to XP Service Pack 2, which has been much talked about for its security improvements.
[/quote]

"Windows XP Service Pack 2 Problem Solver"
http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm
[quote]
Processors based on the Prescott design with a C-0 processor stepping are affected when the motherboard BIOS is out of date. The
cause appears to be that the machine's BIOS does not install a production level microcode update (a correction to a fault in the
microprocessor's own microcode).
A BIOS update is the best solution, but Microsoft has also released a fix, which can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b99c199-5d75-454f-ae07-b620727be8d8
[/quote]

"The Dark Side of Windows XP Service Pack 2"
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Dark-Side-Windows-XP-SP2.html

"Windows XP Service Pack 2 FAQ 's"
http://www.updatexp.com/xp-service-pack-2-faq.html
[quote]
# Is anybody independent of Microsoft recommending XP SP2?
Yes they are. CERT are recommending users upgrade their computers with the new service pack.
More at: http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/alerts/SA04-243A.html
[/quote]

BTW, where do you try to download XP SP2 from?
Try to use http://update.microsoft.com

Regarding "Service Pack 3"... This could be an update
for Office XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832671/

Well, there is also *unofficial* SP3 for Windows XP:
http://www.thehotfix.net/sp3_2.html ...

Regards, Roman

.