Re: After enabling GPO, client pc needs synchronization

Steve,

Thanks again for the reply. The reason I use roaming profile is that I like
its feature to cache user settings, such as Outlook cached email addresses.

One of the key points in your email indicates "GP problems are often a
result of incorrect DNS configuration - that domain pcs are not pointing to
DCs ONLY as their DNS servers." Unfortunately, this is exactly the case for
our network. Do you have any web articles to support your idea? such as
from Microsoft? (I am sorry to say that. It's not that I don't trust you
but I would like to do more research on this). I am reading the links you
are sending me and I am sure I will get more info out of them. Thanks you!

-David

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

I have not used offline files enough to know how well it works or does not
work with roaming profiles but I would say you may want to consider trying
to use redirected folders instead of roaming profiles unless you have a
particular need for roaming profiles. With redirected folder's the users
entire My Documents folders, etc does not need to be downloaded locally to
the computer they logon to. If you want more info on that compared to
roaming profiles you may want to post in the setup_deployment newsgroup.
The links below explain redirected folders more.

As far as Group Policy troubleshooting you can use rsop.msc on the client
computer or run the mmc snapin for Resultant Set of Policy on a Windows 2003
domain controller to see what Group Policy settings are being applied to the
computer and user and from what Group Policy. Group Policy problems are
often a result of incorrect DNS configuration in the domain in that domain
controllers are not pointing only to themselves and possibly another domain
controller as their DNS servers and that domain computers are not pointing
to domain controllers ONLY as their DNS servers. Running the support tool
netdiag on domain controllers and domain computers will often reveal
problems, if they exist, that can affect Group Policy as can looking in the
application log via Event Viewer for events such as userenv related that
indicate a domain controller can not be located.

Another common problem with Group Policy application is that the computer or
user in question is not in a container/OU that the Group Policy is applied
to. The support tool gpresult when run on a domain computer will display
what Group Policies are being applied to the user and computer and from what
domain controller. When testing Group Policy changes remember it can take up
to two hours for Group Policy changes to propagate to a domain computer. To
speed that up run the command gpupdate /force on the domain controller and
then do the same on the domain computer or reboot it. --- Steve

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/08/24/folder_redirect.html
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Profile-Folder-Redirection-Windows-Server-2003.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/upfrfaq.mspx
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/60b2157c-aa5b-44f2-b045-b74d2fd1bf701033.mspx?mfr=true

"David" <David@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Steve,

thanks for the reply. The links are very helpful. Also, I forgot to
mention
I also set up roaming profiles for these users. I wonder if that's why I
will receive the synchronization message. But on some other users that I
set
up roaming profiles, these users don't see the synchronization message.
It
also seems my group policies not applied successfully to all machines. I
will look into the problem futher.

Regards,

-David

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

It sounds like you have offline files available for users. There are
several
Group Policy settings for offline files for user and computer including
three for synchronize that you need to review under administrative
templates/network/offline files but make sure you read the full
explanation
of each setting before configuring it. The links below explain more.

Steve

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/9dba5df2-0359-4fa4-bdcf-dd6ae5ca345e1033.mspx?mfr=true
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/616ca5d0-cc7e-46c9-b00f-1f926506435c1033.mspx?mfr=true
http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBQ/TIP8400/rh8473.htm

"David" <David@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello All,

I recently enabled group policies for my network Win XP comptuers from
Win
2003 DC. After this, I realized when "some" users try to log on to
their
comptuers, the computers have to synchrize the users' mapped network
drives,
and then when users try to log off from their accounts, the comptuers
have
go through the synchronization process again. Users don't want to work
offline at all time, and don't want to see the synchronization message.
Sometimes when they open their network drives, the drive is completely
blank.
I will have to do a manual synchronization before all contents to show
up.

I have checked my group policy report a couple times, but I don't see
any
settings related to synchronization. Could you shed some lights on
this
issue? Thank you.

-David

  • Re: After enabling GPO, client pc needs synchronization
    ... work with roaming profiles but I would say you may want to consider trying ... As far as Group Policy troubleshooting you can use rsop.msc on the client ... domain controller to see what Group Policy settings are being applied to the ... these users don't see the synchronization message. ...
  • Re: Policies not applied after moving users to new OU
    ... Speed Group Policy Troubleshooting with the NEW GPHealth Reporter tool at http://www.sdmsoftware.com/products.php ... our roaming profiles from scratch, ... Personal settings are not retained. ... After the user logs ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.group_policy)
  • Re: After enabling GPO, client pc needs synchronization
    ... It sounds like you have offline files available for users. ... Group Policy settings for offline files for user and computer including ... and don't want to see the synchronization message. ... I have checked my group policy report a couple times, ...
  • RE: Several Problems; how to reset security and troubleshoot serve
    ... On the SBS security settings; I accept your response, ... On the Remote Assistance Issue I have check all of the settings as you ... What started me on the path of security problem was I had a simular problem ... Start the Microsoft Management Console Group Policy snap-in. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: iNTERACTIVE LOGON welcome screen - make it go away
    ... I created a custom ADM file for these two settings ... and imported it into the GPO under the Computer Administritative templates. ... really great expertise in Group Policy often reply to posts including ... doing a gpupdate on that domain controller which ideally would be the ...