Re: Problem with User Accounts on Windows XP

Noah wrote:

I need help, bad. I recently set a password for the Administrative
account, which is the account I use, and a family member tried to get
on while I was away. She didn't know the password so, she logged onto
the Guest account by typing in "guest" as the user name and left the
password field blank. She said all she did was check an email. She did
not download any programs or anything like that. I've already tried
loginrecovery.com and it did not work. The guest account has Limited
permissions, so you can do very few things on it. If anyone has any
suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

I really don't see how logging in as Guest caused your issue, but simply
log into the normally-hidden Administrator account and then go to the
User Accounts applet in Control Panel and fix things.

In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to
the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not
work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden
Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up
Windows.

If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com