Re: How to prevent users from executing other programs than permit

Check to see if you already have NTFS or not. You can open Windows Explorer,
right click the drive to see properties and check what it says for file
system. You can convert FAT32 to NTFS and you should not lose access to
anything but best practice is to ALWAYS have backups of your important data
files including your My Documents folder and ideally your whole user profile
under documents and settings which should be on external media such as
cdrom, DVD, USB flash drive, etc. The link below shows how to convert to
NTFS. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
1.
Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to
Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2.
In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs
format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

"DB" <DB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I am a home user of XP Pro. There are a coule of persons using the computer
and I want to restrict access to my 'My Documents'. It says that I should
format the drive for NTFS if it won't let me check the box 'Make this
folder
private' in the properties section. What I am concerned about is if I do
this
will it delete all the items in C drive in order to create this security
feature?

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

First make sure that the users are not also local administrators as local
administrators can work around any restriction you attempt to place on
them.
Then you can use NTFS permissions or Software Restriction Policies [XP
Pro]
to restrict what users can run on their computer with Software
Restriction
Policies being the best solution but the most difficult to implement. A
user/group needs execute permissions to a program application in order to
run the application. The links below will help get you started. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418 ---
Manage
NTFS permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/rstrplcy.mspx
--- Software Restriction Policies
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sharedaccess/default.mspx --- Shared
Computer Toolkit. Another possible option.

"Gaurav Kothari, India" <GauravKothariIndia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote
in message news:4414391B-EDFF-4065-B954-C84DA4864AAE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Could any one please describe me:

I am running an organization with 7 to 8 computers, i need to prevent
my
employees to execute any program other than that of their mean

please help me out

i'm not a expert

  • Re: Hard-drive Recovery - OS Not recognizing previous NTFS formated dr
    ... To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt ... Open the Command Prompt window. ... first format the drive to NTFS. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Multiple XPs with File Security
    ... > I am running two XP systems on a partitioned FAT32 disk, ... convert to NTFS ... To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt ... folder permissions" and "To set, view, change, or remove special permissions ...
  • chkdsk klemmt????
    ... Samsung 500 GB Platten (NTFS) ... Ich habe hier ein wirklich seltsames Verhalten einer Hitatchi 1TB Festplatte: ... Der Command Prompt war aber nicht da, dass heist, dass chkdsk noch nicht fertig war. ...
    (microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.dateisystem)
  • Re: WINDOWS properties Security tab
    ... it's possible that your HD file system is running Fat32 instead od NTFS. ... To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt ... Open the Command Prompt window. ...
  • Re: fat to ntfs
    ... > i just typed into command prompt to convert my C drive ... > into NTFS file.It will do it next time i boot the ... > and erase all the info. there any comments??? ...