Re: who is messing with my settings

To access any share on the computer the Windows Firewall needs to be enabled
to allow file and print sharing from the IP address of the computer you are
trying to access from. If you are managing Windows Firewall via Group Policy
you need to do that in the domain profile. You also can enable logging for
the Windows Firewall on a computer you are having trouble accessing and the
log will show what traffic is being dropped. The command netsh firewall show
config will show basic Windows Firewall configuration. --- Steve

"alex" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

To check if the company policy is respectd I have to ( from time to time)
connect to users computers (Windows XP Pro SP2). For that I use to connect
hidden shared directory (C$, D$ and so on).
If one week before it worked for all computers now for some reason it does
not. The users have limited account so they could not change the setting.

1) The first step is that the computer does not respond to ping
computer_name or ping computer_ip
2) I had checked in firewall setting windows ( under ICMP) the option
which
does allow the computer to response to ping. The ping computer_name is
stil
not working
3) Also I can't connect to hidden shares.
4) If I shutdown the firewall all is OK.

It's like for some reason the Windows firewall is messing up.

Can you, please, help me with some advice about waht should I do to
connect
to hidden shares ( whithout shutting the Windows firewall)?
Thank you!

  • Re: Remote Desktop/Networking
    ... utility is known for blocking network traffic, ... I don't know if I'm correct but I think once the ping ... is resolved the remote desktop should work. ... Turn off the Windows firewall during testing until you get your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Strange behavior on one pc in SBS 2003 domain
    ... In normal condition the Windows Firewall on a system attached to SBS03 will be ON. ... If you can't ping you can't sing. ... mickm at mickmalloy dot dyndns dot org ... The problem is accessing that pc in the doamin from my admin workstation or even from the server console. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Cant Set Up A Printer Share
    ... Also the Windows Firewall or other software ... Below is an example of a successful ping. ... Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: ... use a Linksys Router BEFSR41 v2, ...
  • Re: Network Not Working
    ... other uses a wireless connection both can access E-Mail & the Internet computer 1 is able to ping the router & the the laptop but can not ping its own IP Addresss times out tried uninstalling NIS 2006 did not mater no network Windows firewall turned off did not see the network tried with the modem turned off & NIS 2006 uninstalled & Windows Firewall off no difference ... " The road of life can only reveal itself as it is traveled; each turn in the road reveals a surprise. ...
  • Re: Unable to Ping External NIC
    ... It looks like you have Windows firewall turn on the external NIC. ... External NIC is connect to a Cisco PIX 515E and then to a dlink router. ... I can ping the Cisco but not the External NIC, which would explain why I am unable to get onto the server. ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ...