Re: USB "dongle" to protect laptop

Ivor Jones wrote:
Hi, not sure if this is the right group to ask this, if not perhaps
someone can point me in the right direction.

I have seen available USB "dongles" that plug into a laptop's USB
port that can be used as a security measure, i.e. the dongle is
required to log on to the machine, if the laptop is stolen and the
thief tries to use it, he can't if the dongle isn't in place.

Does anyone know anything about how these work..? Are they
reliable..? Being the worrying type I am concerned that if I used
one of these the control software might malfunction and stop *me*
getting into the machine..!

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

My thought would be that even if the dongle is needed to boot into the OS -
unless this is a hardware level protection - then simply making an image of
the unbootable system would give the "thief" access to any unencrypted data
on it and then formatting it and installing the OS of their choice makes the
laptop usable again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

  • Re: Interfacing to parallel port dongle via USB adapter
    ... ports and instead use USB to Parallel converters. ... The usual solution is to obtain a USB dongle from the software ... want to see if it is possible to emulate a parallel port via USB that will ... The parallel port hardware is mapped into the PC I/O space, ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: serial: data not returned within the timeout period
    ... Which USB-Serial dongle are you using? ... requirements of the serial port application. ... i use a digitus USB to serial converter attached to a usb ... on the PC i try to aquire countings during a certain preset of time and it ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Modem/Router techies please Different query
    ... As to the Dongle, just pack it away safe, just in case one of you ... said I gather the dongle is plugged into USB socket in the laptop ... Laptops come with WiFi built-in anyway. ... Provided the correct Drivers for the USB Dongle are available. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • RE: PCMCIA wireless card that "works out of the box"?
    ... i have a fc8 laptop running x86_64. ... usb dongle/wifi hanging off of it. ... the linksys dongle worked for me... ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: a few questions about AT&Ts 3G service
    ... or about 185 kBps. ... You could buy a router to plug the USB device into, ... Most people don't go to the trouble of an external antenna unless ... long USB cable for the dongle and then find a location for the device ...
    (alt.cellular.cingular)