Re: user does not have acces privileges

It is kind of confusing to see where you are at on this issue and exactly
what the current problem is. Please update us an maybe someone can
lp. --- Steve

"Zorro" <Zorro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hi everyone!

I had a second thought on my case therefore I would like to enclose it
here
too.
First I put it in Windows XP General but I think here I can hope for a
solution.
Please read through the conversation!

Regards,

Zorro

"Zorro" wrote:

Anyway, thanks for the help.

One more thing about being precautious.
I don't think in my situation anyone could have thought about removing the
encryption of the file before reinstalling Windows.
And I still think it is a combined problem with encryption and ownership
together.

But as I said "anyway", people always learn something new even if that new
thing can make our life bitter.
Let's hope those who read this story will learn from my mistake and they
won't fall into the same trouble.

Regards,

Zorro

"Bob I" wrote:

It works to secure a users data, but if precautions are not taken, the
user will find out how very well it works.

You may want to read up on EFS in Windows Help for the methods for
setting it up and safe usage and backup recovery.

Zorro wrote:

Well, what can I say?
I'm a bit disappointed.
This experience certainly won't encourage me to use encryption again.

"Bob I" wrote:

If you used "Windows XP encryption" (EFS) and you flushed Windows and
the account credentials, that file is inaccessible. You won't get it
back. That is the secure part of EFS.

Zorro wrote:

I don't know how it was encrypted.
I used the Windows XP encryption.
About the certificate I'm affraid it's gone with the previous Windows.
Can't I create a new certificate or find the old one, if someone can tell
me
where to look for it.

"Bob I" wrote:

Was it encrypted with EFS? If so, and you don't have the certificate,
it's inaccessable.

Zorro wrote:

Hi!

As I wrote that already, I can take the ownership BUT
I can not take the special permissions and this is the problem.
I have everything except the special permissions.

Zorro

"Bob I" wrote:

Take ownership first.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

Zorro wrote:

Hi Brian!

Unfortunately I could not do anything with the file, not even in safe
mode.
The only thing what I could do is delete it and restore it.
I think it has an encryption problem as well because I can't take that
off.
And of course the special permission problem still exist.
I think we have to concentrate on the error message to be able to find out
what is wrong.
Word can not open the document:
user does not have acces privileges (D:\...\Bank details.doc)".

Regards,

Zorro

Brian A." wrote:

Boot to Safe Mode as the Administrator and see if you can get the contents
out/copied/pasted into another doc.

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Zorro" <Zorro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Hi there!

I have a word doc on another hard drive(D:) with password protection.
I had to reinstall windows on the C: drive. Since then I cannot open
the word doc on my D: drive. I have a message "Word can not open the
document: user does not have acces privileges (D:\...\Bank details.doc)".
I have tried to take over ownership and everything was ok except taking
the
special permissions over and without this I won't be able to open the
file.
I know the password but I don't have a chance to type it in.
If anyone can help me on this I will appreciate so much!

Zorro

    ... to reinstall the windows to do that. ... ownership is the reason of the inaccessibility. ... I'm not an expert but I find out, it is not the encryption but ... "Zorro" wrote: ...
  • Re: user does not have acces privileges
    ... But now at the new files I should have the right EFS key in my computer. ... That means there is something wrong with the ownership settings and that was ... Or it is only matter if the encryption is combined with the ownership change? ... to reinstall the windows to do that. ...
  • Re: password
    ... If you used XP's encryption, ... If you only had a password for your Windows username, ... Taking Ownership: ... Sometimes, in order to get access to a folder, you need to "take ownership" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    ... You have already been told by experts that you cannot access that Word file if EFS was used to protect it and the encryption certificate was lost during the reinstall of XP. ... Windows Shell/User ... "Zorro" wrote: ...
  • user does not have acces privileges
    ... "Zorro" wrote: ... encryption of the file before reinstalling Windows. ... And I still think it is a combined problem with encryption and ownership ...