Zone Alarm 6.5 causing the HDD failure problem?

I read in another post about a user having ZA 6.5 cause a BSOD. That
really got me curious as to whether or not ZA 6.5 could have been the
cause of my HDD failure notices.

I posted previously that my HDD was dying, "violent snapping of the
access mechanism", and that the mfgr was sending a new HDD.

To recap, I turned off the wireless radio, ZA, NAV and the violent HDD
seek operations stopped. Ran the Hitachi DFT and got a positive that
the HDD was in imminent danger of failing. Checked Event Viewer and
there were multiple warning entries for the disk. Made me feel better
about having to reinstall everything, till I read that post about ZA
causing the BSOD.

I have backed up all of my app and data files and Uninstalled just
about everything, except Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2003. All the
while, no HDD problems. I turned the wireless back on, installed the
free AVG, checked email and surfed the web, and after nearly a week,
still no HDD problems or disk warning entries in Event Viewer.

Could it have been ZA causing those violent HDD snap backs?

Or could it be that my uninstalling a lot of stuff eased the number and
length of the HDD's seek tasks and therefore it is running smoothly in
the first part of the disc?

Whatever, the HDD is going to get replaced, but ZA is not going back on
this machine.

  • Re: Second hard drive causing blue screen error
    ... I hook it up and get BSoD, ... able to boot whilst it is connected. ... What is the make & model of your "old" HDD, ... power plug connection? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Compaq EVO 610c & inaccessible_boot_device error?
    ... The drivers for the HDD in the SOE no longer match the revision of the ... getting BSOD then it's a hardware imcompatibility issue. ... > hard drives, to ROXIO, etc. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: What a fucking weekend
    ... Tries a restore from the software provided. ... Even a clean factory formatted build gives a BSOD. ... And it wouldn't boot an old Beos 5 pro CD I had lying arround. ... It seem the pc won't boot from anything except the hdd, ...
    (uk.rec.cars.modifications)
  • Re: Zone Alarm 6.5 causing the HDD failure problem?
    ... I posted previously that my HDD was dying, ... still no HDD problems or disk warning entries in Event Viewer. ... Could it have been ZA causing those violent HDD snap backs? ... Or could it be that my uninstalling a lot of stuff eased the number and ...
  • Re: Some problem with making disk partition
    ... No BSOD, but we're not sure what kind of restart symptom has been occurred. ... In Normal XP Pro and XP Pro SP2, there is no problem eventhough the ... It must be related to hdd problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)