Re: software

Eddie wrote:

How can I prevent users from installing software on a standalone

Since you haven't told us whether you have Pro or Home:

1. If Pro, use Group Policy. Start>Run>gpedit.msc [enter]
Be careful using Group Policy since it is completely possible to lock
yourself out. For questions about group policy, post in this newsgroup:

2. If Home, use either Doug Knox's Security Console or the MS Shared
Computer Toolkit.

Elephant Boy Computers
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Lock Down Clock
    ... a domain) to lock out a user from changing the clock's time, month, year, time zone, etc.? ... If you have XP Pro, you can set user permissions/restrictions with Group Policy but be careful. ...
  • Re: Locking down XP. No domain.
    ... However If I change user configuration doesn't that ... Group policy can lock down the whole shebang, ... >> XP Home, or Pro? ...
  • Re: save w2k group policy setting
    ... Based on my W2k Pro OS, please advise, can I still create a Group Policy ... default settings and the amended settings. ...
  • Re: Limiting users to specific software
    ... You do have to know how to undo what you are doing, ... Windows 2000 the way you want involves using the Group Policy snap-in within ... then you might not successfully lock the machine down anyways. ... > student to have any other options other than logging off. ...
  • Re: set permissons
    ... You don't say if you're running XP Home or XP Pro. ... Group Policy Editor, but on a stand alone computer, these restrictions are ... XP Home does not include the Group Policy ... MS-MVP Windows XP/ Windows Smart Display ...