Re: deleted user remains

"Share" permissions only manage what users have access to the share from
network computers and in no way control access to users that logon locally.
For that you need to modify NTFS permissions that you see in the properties
of a folder/file under security when simple file sharing is disabled. Open
Windows Explorer and go to tools/folder options view and uncheck the last
option for use simple file sharing.

As far as encrypting files you seem to indicate that you are encrypting
individual files and not in the folder properties where the files live which
is how it should be done since then any file created in the folder will then
be encrypted. Also you should never encrypt the entire user profile but can
encrypt folders in it such as my documents, etc. --- Steve

"Security Help" <SecurityHelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
to encrypt the file, i am rigtht click, properties, advanced, "encrypt
contents to secure date"

then i am clicking properties, sharing, and removing all users, except the
"user a" from the list of allowed users.

when i delete the user, i am using control panel, users, delete user

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Exactly what do you do when you "encrypt it" and how are you denying
other
users access and are those users also local administrators? You also can
delete a users profile by logging on as an administrator, going to system
properties/advanced - user profile settings, selecting the user profile
and
then delete. Doing such will only delete any files in the user's profile
under documents and settings\user name folder. -- Steve

"Security Help" <SecurityHelp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
That is what is strange. I have since reproduced this issue. i create
an
account "User 1" , encryt it, and deny other users access. The i use
the
account on the internet. I then go to another admin account, delete
the
account "user 1". I get a promt, do i want to delete all files or move
them.
I choose, delete them.

the account is gone, the folders remain for everyuser to see

How is that possible?

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

Well it sounds like something went wrong. Normally files in a user's
profile
under documents and settings are available only to the user and maybe
users
in the administrators group which may be what is happening in your
case
if
the users that can access are local administrators. EFS encrypted
files
by
default would only be able to be decrypted by the user that encrypted
the
files though he could have "shared" the ability for others to decrypt
the
files if they had needed NTFS permissions to the files. Anyhow if you
no
longer want the files then logon as an administrator and delete them.
On
shared computer I suggest that you use cipher /w:c\ [assuming files
are
on C
drive] afterwards to make sure the files are not recoverable if they
have
information you do not want others to see especially if other users
are
in
the local administrators group. --- Steve

"Security Help" <Security Help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
I have a shared computer that i set up accounts for users on.

I set up an account for a new user, that was encrypted, and
restriced
from
other users.

When i deleted that accout a month later, (hitting "delete files"
when
givin
the option), the files remained.

All of the deleted files temp internet files and cookies became
files
available for every user!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Re: help please on passwords, encryption etc
    ... I'm confused about the difference between making a folder private ... >> and encrypting it. ... > they are just marked "private". ... Use MMC and and snapin called "certificates" and export the ...
  • Re: help please on passwords, encryption etc
    ... I'm confused about the difference between making a folder private ... > and encrypting it. ... they are just marked "private". ... You must export the EFS certificates on the computer and store them on ...
  • Re: help please on passwords, encryption etc
    ... Making folder private means no-one can read it without the password. ... A password reset disk is NOT a data recovery disk. ... I have several questions about password protection and encrypting ...
  • Re: lsass.exe high cpu xp
    ... I have the same problem in my desktop and Notebook, ... After reading some of the comments here, I am wondering if encrypting files ... I then noticed that there are over 15,000 system files in this ... I'd hate to go down the route of creating a new user profile ...
  • Built-in encryption questions
    ... I posted this to the security section but got no response so I'm trying ... I tried encrypting a folder and its contents and noticed it changes all the ... I see there are such things as recovery keys. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)