Re: Pop ups won't stop

From: "Pentium" <pent@xxxxxxxxxx>

| In the past (twice now months apart) "Winfixer" has come in and SpyBot &
| McAfee have tagged this PUP, but can't (delete) remove it even in "safe
| mode", BUT I know the ddccy.dll in system32 is "associated" with it. I run
| system restore to restore to the day before the file was "created-modified",
| then I go into Windows Explorer and there it is "hidden", but not activated,
| then I can just delete it.

ddccy.dll is a Vundo Trojan variant and is loaded by the OS via the Winlogon Notify registry
key.

Follow the below directions to correct your problem.

Two phase answer...

Perform Part 1 then perform Part 2

If the first two parts don't work, perform the alternate utility.

It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode.

If you are using any version of Sun Java that is prior to JRE Version 5.0,
then you are strongly urged to remove any/all versions that are prior to JRE
Version 5.0. There are vulnerabilities in them and they are actively being exploited.
This is most likely why you got infected with malware.

Therefore, it is highly suggested that if there are any prior versions of Sun Java
to Version 5 on the PC that they be removed and Sun Java JRE Version 5.0 Update 6
be installed ASAP.

Simple check, look under...
C:\Program Files\Java

The only folder under that folder should be the latest version...

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Part 1
------------
Download Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool --
http://secured2k.home.comcast.net/tools/VirtumundoBeGone.exe

Information on the Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool:
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=57049

Part 2
------------
Download WinFixerFix.exe from the URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/WinFixerFix.exe

Execute; WinFixerFix.exe { Note: You must accept the default of C:\McAfee }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee related files.

Execute; c:\mcafee\clean.bat
{ or Double-click on 'Clean Link' in c:\mcafee }

A final report in HTML format called C:\mcafee\Normal_ScanReport.HTML or
C:\mcafee\Safe_ScanReport.HTML will be generated. At the end of the scan, it will be
displayed in your browser (Opera, FireFox or Internet Explorer). However, if you are using
WinXP, Win2K or Win2003 your system will be left in a state where you will have to manually
shutdown/reboot the PC. On Win9x/ME platforms the report will not be shown in your bowser
but your PC will automatically be shutdown. It is suggested that you move the report out of
c:\mcafee before performing another scan.

It would be best to scan in both Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML
report for each session.

ALTERNATE:
--------------

Download Atribune's VUNDOFIX.EXE
http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4

Save VUNDOFIX.EXE to "C:\" ( C:\VUNDOFIX.EXE ) and execute it from there.

Please Copy and Paste the contents of the HTML Log files;
C:\mcafee\Normal_ScanReport.HTML & C:\mcafee\Safe_ScanReport.HTML in your reply.

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  • Re: JPI_Cache worm
    ... From the looks of it I have to download some programs. ... It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode. ... On Win9x/ME platforms the report will not be shown in your bowser ... It would be best to scan in both Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: annoying pop up message
    ... Virus Scan Report File ... McAfee VirusScan for Win32 v4.40.0 ... It is suggested that you execute each tool in Normal Mode then in Safe Mode. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vundo
    ... Download Adware-Virtumundo Removal Tool -- ... FireWall to enable WGET.EXE to download the needed McAfee related files. ... On Win9x/ME platforms the report will not be shown in your bowser ... It would be best to scan in both Safe Mode and in Normal Mode and save a copy of the HTML ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: defragmenting
    ... that is safe. ... McAfee said the other had an unwanted item and then I had ... I used to defrag with the built-in. ...
  • Re: Yellow triangle in taskbar malware - REMOVED
    ... > an online chat with McAfee (Ace_Daniels I think the person called ... > As a last resort I was told to run McAfee Antispyware 2 in safe ... tweaks - just to be safe. ... I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this ...
    (microsoft.public.security)