Re: Lost all user Profiles at Log in

Robert,

Try running System Restore from a Command Prompt from within Safe Mode.
Roll the system back to a date just before this issue appeared :

How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dm_Epyon wrote:
Unfortunately, it does the same thing. After loading everything, Safe mode heads to the same screen of click a profile, but there are none showing...

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

Robert,

What happens when the system is booted to Safe Mode ?
http://snipurl.com/dmbp
or
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/boot_failsafe.mspx

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2006]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Dm_Epyon wrote:

Greetings:

My older computer, running Win XP serivce pack 2, suddenly lost all the user profiles. The system boots up to the proflie screen, and asks for you to select a profile. Unfortunatey, there are no present. Control+Alt+Delete does not work, but the mouse moves about.

I noticed a few others on the boards have had a similar issue, but no one has responded to their threads. I want to try something before I do the destructed restore, which hopefully will fix it. Not being able to log in, I can't get any info to supply to Tech support.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

  • Re: System Restore will not start
    ... Further proof that ERUNT is way better than System Restore! ... and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with a command prompt. ... Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP Home Edition-Wont boot up
    ... "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". ... The MS Knowledge Base article noted below, may help in restoring a "prior XP System Restore point", ... in the case where you are unable to do this from a Windows session. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows XP frozen and safe mode freezes also-have unsaved files! H
    ... It sounds like you will be able to go the "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" ... This will let you run the command to start a System Restore. ... the system freezes up. ...
  • Re: serious probs with accessing programs
    ... try booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and run the below command to open System Restore - How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Restore CSLIDs
    ... Rachel, can you get into safe mode? ... If so choose safe mode with command prompt. ... That will bring up the system restore dialog box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)