Re: Help with mailer-daemon question

JD wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have run NAV, Ad-Aware, and Spybot and my
computer is, I hope, "clean."
Is there anything else I can do? Maybe contact all of my
correspondents and ask them to check their "Sent Mail" folders?
Is there a way to "track down" the miscreant?
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

It does sound like your machine is clean, especially if you didn't run
anything from that email and all your antivirus/antispyware programs
are current versions and the definitions are up-to-date.

There really isn't any way you can tell where the email came from
because many email viruses spoof the "From" field. A simple example
would be if you and I had a mutual friend (let's call him Fred) but you
and I didn't know each other. Fred's machine is infected with one of
the many email viruses. Because both our addresses are in Fred's
addressbook, the virus sends you an infected email and it looks like it
comes from me. You contact me angrily and I tell you that since I don't
run Windows, my machine isn't infected.

So just delete those emails unread and don't worry about it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com