Re: Problems with encrypted folder

You are the "VERY SPECIAL PERSON OF THE DAY" ... or i can say also that you
are "MY HERO"....or may be i can say you are the "MVP OF THE YEAR"...

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS....AND THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i almost forgot it...i wanna say...THANK
YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pablo Cesar....the most happy man on earth...at least for today...

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@xxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió en el mensaje
Pablo Cesar wrote:
People...i beg for help!!!

I have a disk with an installation of windows xp that belongs to a
machine
that is not working anymore, so i buy a new machine, installed windows
xp
and try to acces the information under my user in C:\Documents and
Settings\MyUserName but i get "access denied"...i thing this is due i
marked
this folder as private when i was using that Windows....i tried to boot
from
the old thisk in the new machine but i cann't do it, i only get blue
screens
telling me that something failled....what can i do? the information
there is
vital for me.

Is the data actually encrypted, as your subject line suggests? If so,
and if the your encryption certificates and keys were not backed up
before placing the hard drive in the new computer, and the workstation
isn't part of a domain, those files are gone, for all practical
purposes. Encryption works well and there is no "back door" or hack to
access the files. (Wouldn't be much point to EFS if it were vulnerable.)

If you hadn't actually encrypted the data files (and marking a folder
private is something completely different from encryption), you may be
facing nothing more than a simple permissions issue. Have you tried
taking ownership of the old folders?

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

.