Re: missing system file

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

How to troubleshoot registry corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822705/en-us

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5D160520-B097-499A-B8F4-B9F55FD4CF59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
jk <jk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
upon booting, my computer seems to be stuck at the black windows xp screen
forever. Upon selecting the "last known good configuration" option. I get
the error option

Windows could nto start because the following file is missing or curropt:
C:\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup......

I have tried running the recovery cd that came with my laptop several
times, but this problem still remains. I have also tried running a
Windows XP Installation CD, but it comes to a halt after all the drivers
load and am unable to see the screen that would allow me to install or
repair an existing installation.

Im thinking tht this might be a boot sector virus, that is curropting my
system file as soon as I reboot after running the recovery cd.

Please help!!

thanks.

  • Re: XP startup problem; wont start
    ... XP installation on my computer is of Windows XP professional edition (with ... Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: ... Typed 'R' to get recovery console ... bootcfg /rebuild ...
  • Re: More Problems - XP Will Not Boot - 2nd Computer - Following Up
    ... volumes available for the installation of XP. ... I have made sure to load current RAID drivers during the XP Set ... I created and two Windows XP system disks.) ... a screen that displays: "Microsoft Windows XPRecovery ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Recovery Console Perplexations and Woes
    ... You start the Recovery ... > the Windows XP Professional SP2 installation CD, with the appropriate Key, ... > specifically the Recovery Console, aside from, and in addition to, the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Vista Corrupted To Near Unusability -- No Recovery Disks
    ... I like Ubuntu and in fact use it on this machine at work because to use my MVP award of Windows at work would IMHO be illegal. ... However I have tried W 7 and it is much leaner and cleaner than Vista so I can't quite agree that is is simply a trimmed down Vista, I believe there have been significant coding changes. ... I have been pleased with Vista HomePrem: unlike any previous Win installation I used, it ran for more than 2 years without any need for a clean install. ... No solution found at this time, but I may likely post what I eventually do, and that may not involve HP sending me the recovery CDs which I want because of what appears to be a flawed business model. ...
  • Re: Can you please help me?
    ... Copy your recovery disks once you get them, that way if they get lost or ... External hard drives and flash drives should work fine, as Windows XP has ... original install media. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)