Re: missing system file

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

How to troubleshoot registry corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822705/en-us

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:5D160520-B097-499A-B8F4-B9F55FD4CF59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
jk <jk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> hunted and pecked:
upon booting, my computer seems to be stuck at the black windows xp screen
forever. Upon selecting the "last known good configuration" option. I get
the error option

Windows could nto start because the following file is missing or curropt:
C:\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup......

I have tried running the recovery cd that came with my laptop several
times, but this problem still remains. I have also tried running a
Windows XP Installation CD, but it comes to a halt after all the drivers
load and am unable to see the screen that would allow me to install or
repair an existing installation.

Im thinking tht this might be a boot sector virus, that is curropting my
system file as soon as I reboot after running the recovery cd.

Please help!!

thanks.

.