Re: Restricting Users

Yes, it can be done. You can use group policy on domain or stand-alone
computers, but I prefer to modify the policy-related registry keys
directly. See www.winguides.com for a lot more information about these
registry keys.

If you collect a set of registry keys into a .reg file, you can "merge"
this file into the account when you setup the account (and it is an
admin account). Or you can use the reg.exe command in a command prompt
or batch file. (You can also merge .reg files from a batch file using
regedit.exe or reg.exe in XP.) Then you can change the account type to
limited using the "net localgroups" command.

Specifically, you can set the wallpaper and restrict users from
changing it, you can disable or restrict the screensaver and
screensaver password, and there are various restrictions available for
the taskbar, such as disabling the context menu.

  • RE: SMTP Authentication flag
    ... To locate what the registry key should be for your account, ... can iterate the registry keys to check if the value of the subkey "Account ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... or a Microsoft Support Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.messaging)
  • Re: SMTP Authentication flag
    ... I am using IOlkAccountManager /IOlkAccount Interface to retrieve all the accounts configured in the outlook for one/all/given profile. ... I understand that you would like to programmatically find out if your account was set with "use the same login information as the incoming server" for the outgoing server. ... To locate what the registry key should be for your account, you can iterate the registry keys to check if the value of the subkey "Account Name" equals to your account name. ... We welcome your comments and suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.messaging)
  • Re: windows 2000 hangs at logon
    ... Please check if the following registry keys ... Open registry editor ... Check if the account DefaultUserName, ... >>> until I restart computer and try again to logon. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: How to transfer Outlook Express details into New User Account?
    ... For the new account, it contains a list of Inbox, outbox files, if I replace ... What if I copy the folder under window explorer, ... Export the 4 OE registry keys. ...
  • Re: How to transfer Outlook Express details into New User Account?
    ... For the new account, it contains a list of Inbox, outbox files, if I replace ... What if I copy the folder under window explorer, ... OE data cannot be exported from the old HDD to the new HDD. ... Export the 4 OE registry keys. ...